1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Coaching Carousel 2012-13 running thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I figure we should get this started before Norv Turner gets fired...

In today's SI, they rank the coaches in the order of their chances of being fired...

1. Chargers
    2. Chiefs
    3. Bills
    4. Panthers
    5. Eagles
    6. Browns
    7. Jets
    8. Titans
    9. Vikings

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I would move the Eagles higher just because expectations are higher and Reid has been there so much longer.

Some of the others --- Chiefs, Titans, Browns, Panthers -- weren't good when the last hire was made, so you can't pin it all on the current guy. I wouldn't expect more than 2 changes before December and then maybe a few more when teams throw in the towel like the Chiefs and Jags did last season.

One team I'm surprised to see not on the list is the Dallas Cowboys. As a former SE who I once worked for noted in a recent column, Jason Garrett was Jerry Jones' hand-picked guy, so Jones has a vested interest in giving him every chance to succeed. As long as they stay within shouting distance of .500, they can sell tickets, so maybe that's good enough.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Pat Shurmur is absolutely on the hot seat in Cleveland. And I think the odds are better he's gone after January than he stays. New owner, new president, and possibly new GM, with a shit team and not much growth make him pretty ripe. I'd be stunned if he's back in Cleveland.

I just can't see the Eagles firing Reid. Maybe he retires or steps down, but he's been there so long, and has so much clout. Plus, the Eagles are generally a pretty stable organization under Lurie. Strong organizations don't make drastic change at the first sign of trouble. Yes, they're under achieving, but he's accomplished a lot there and I can't see that being forgotten.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Reid's been dodging bullets for most of the past five years. Sooner or later, one straw will break the camel's back. It's almost unheard of for a head coach to stay with one team for 10 years or longer anymore.

5. Mizzougrad96

I kind of agree about Reid. I could see them strongly encouraging him to step down, but I'm not sure I can envision them firing him.

I also imagine that if the Eagles job opened up you might start hearing about coaches who have been away from the game for a few years expressing interest. Gruden would be a very good fit there.

6. Mizzougrad96

True, but I also kind of think Reid won't get into the kind of pissing match with the owner that ended other long coaching tenures like Shanahan in Denver and Fisher in Tennessee...

I think he'll step down after the season and take a year (or more) off.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The Vikings would surprise me too, unless there's something going on in the locker room that we don't know about.

Also surprised the Cowboys didn't make the list.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Jerry hates to admit a mistake. He won't fire Garrett until the Cowboys are 5-11 like they were under Campo (or 1-7 and headed that direction like they were under Phillips).

Garrett stays.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect the Browns and Titans, among others, will make a change in the offseason. The pool of available candidates is much larger then. If you change coaches midseason, one of two things happen. Either (1) you start winning and then you are more or less stuck with the guy and don't pursue your No.1 choice or (2) you keep losing and nothing is gained from the change.

The only reason I can see to make a change in-season is (1) to salvage a season you thought was going to be better or (2) give an assistant a live audition. That sure worked well with Romeo Crennel.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Who lands in San Diego?

Probably depends on who is GM, because when Norv goes, AJ Smith should be fired, too.

Holmgren or Reid would be good fits.

Maybe Chip Kelley. The Chargers have pursued college guys in the past.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd ordinarily say a first-year guy like Romeo Crennel shouldn't be on the hot seat. But this team is so bad, I don't see how there isn't a top-to-bottom housecleaning after this season.

The fact that they haven't led at a single point in a game (with just the lone OT victory) this deep into the season is mind-boggling.

Given how the Chargers are going, Turner has to be gone. Same with Reid in Philly. And with Richardson's health issues and just firing the GM, Rivera's leash probably isn't a long one.

Is Schwartz completely safe in Detroit?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I would think Schwartz is safe in Detroit. They sucked so bad for so long, that 7-8 wins is a terrific season. Besides ownership there doesn't care all that much what the record is.

Draft saved Draft deleted