1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Class of 2009 HOF Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 31, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Thomas' nod came five years too late. Beyond the numbers, he possessed that certain element when you just knew a big play was coming. He knew it... the opposing offense knew it, 80,000 people knew it. The seven sack game was one of the first I ever attended. The six-sack performance came on a Sunday night against Oakland and Whitlock's favorite QB. I do believe he called for a safety just moments before planting Mr. George in the end zone that night.

Either way, he was the only truly dominant athlete in KC whose prime coincided with my youthful memory. And I've yet to go to a louder sporting event than those Sundays at Arrowhead.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good class. Not one "Huh? What's he doing there?" in the bunch (except maybe Hayes, but he seems to be the old-school guy in the class).
    Like others, though, I'm surprised Cris Carter is going on year three without a call. With as many Canton-bound receivers as there seem to be in this generation, you'd think the voters would try to get one in each year before a big backlog hits.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not bad, but mildly disagree with Bob Hayes. If nothing else, Cris Carter could have had that spot and make Hayes wait another year or two.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If Carter is waiting this long, then a Tim Brown has absolutely no shot.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bunch of fucking morons.

Really.

Those guys need to stop staining their t-shirts in Hooters hot sauce and start paying attention to the games.

Carter being snubbed is the biggest hall travesty I have seen in any sport.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Andre Reed, too.

As for Hayes, he averaged 20 yards per catch and scored 71 touchdowns on 371 receptions (one every 5.23). Both rates are better than cinch Hall of Famers like Jerry Rice and Lance Alworth.

I'm not saying Hayes was better than Rice by any stretch, but he's certainly deserving of Canton. He was almost as good as Alworth, and Alworth has been in the Hall of Fame for 31 years.

Drug use (and resulting legal problems) is what kept Hayes out of Canton until now.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The only unfortunate thing is that they did wait so long, because Ralph's recent attempts at public speaking have been difficult to endure. I'm so happy that he finally got to experience this day, though.

Doesn't work that way. Hayes was a Seniors Committee candidate, and for the third time. If he didn't get in this year, there's a good chance there may never have been a fourth.

And ditto the "get stuffed" sentiments on Tagliabue.

One last thing: I would like to thank the NFL for putting the Bills in the HOF game this year, because they have ensured a weekend-long tailgate party, Buffalo style. Hellz yeah.
    :D

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

People bitch about Kurt Warner having a hole in his resume where he didn't do anything, Cris Carter's first six season were mediocre at best. No 1000 yard season.

I heard some idiot on ESPN radio going on about Derrick Thomas and how a guy like him would be a high draft pick because of his pass rushing skills. Is the 4th pick considered low?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the HOF voters have something seriously against receivers and tight ends.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know Hayes was a Seniors Committee pick. Still doesn't mean I agree with it.

Well ... maybe they'll get around to some other worthy Seniors picks before long. :D

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is this the first time the HOF game has two teams from the same conference? I always thought it was supposed to be an AFC-NFC game?

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Surprised on Cris Carter.

I wonder if the sense of 'Cris Cancer' is in the minds of voters...in other words, his locker room presence when the TV cameras were not interviewing him.

Draft saved Draft deleted