1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL changes kickoff rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Who doesn't want to see more touchback excitement? This rule will have a small but noticeable effect on scoring due to the loss of offensive field position. In response, the owners will vote in a rule requiring defensive backs to play blindfolded.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I actually think this might be the case in 3-4 years ...

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This was funny.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with the poster who said the rule change will somehow lead to more violent hits. That's what's happened with pass defense. Limiting the chucks and bumps means the only way to play effective pass defense is to separate the receiver from the ball as close to the moment of the catch as possible -- that is, by hard hits on vulnerable opponents.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. Thank you for saving me the time of looking up when they changed the rule.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Bears coach Lovie Smith actually said that today, saying how Hester is such a big part of his team's field position and can break one any time he touches the ball. He said the "fiber" of the game may be being sacrificed in favor of too much safety.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So spend the Hester money on an O-lineman or two.

Problem solved.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This won't help Jacoby Ford, either.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Or Josh Cribbs or Leon Washington (who just got an extension) or kicker Billy Cundiff (who just got an extension) or Brad Smith.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Somewhere YGBFM and RickStain are crying because their precious team's best player was just rendered obsolete.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha :D

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm old school . Let's see it go back to the 40 so they can boot it into the stands like Jan Stenerud used to do.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing nobody will be happy with this and there will be one of three courses taken:
    1) Go back to the 30 again.
    2) Eliminate kickoffs.
    3) Force returners out with a rule like the CFL's rouge. They might still concede the point early in the game, but not late in a close game.

Draft saved Draft deleted