1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL, Broadcast partners Close to New Deal *UPDATE -- New Deal Reached*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wonder what DirecTV will pony up to keep Sunday Ticket.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As much as it takes. It's not giving that up without a major fight.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Another tweak: NBC gives up one of its wild-card games and will get a divisional game. There's some chatter that the wild-card game NBC is giving up would go to ESPN, but the NFL is touting this deal as: "The Tradition Continues: NFL to Remain on Broadcast TV."

There's nothing in the ESPN contract saying it will get a game.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know so many people who would drop DirecTV in a heartbeat if it lost NFL Ticket.

I would be happy with just the Red Zone channel.

It sounds like there will be a lot more Thursday night games, which I think is great.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The league can look forward to many more injuries if it insists on a 17-week slate of Thursday night games.

More injuries, and shoddier play.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Thursday games are a pox on the league and I wish they would get rid of them with the exception of Thanksgiving.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think they should tie it in with the teams coming off their byes. That's the best way to do it.

Now that Monday Night Football is a highly mediocre game at least half and maybe 3/4s of the time, they need a Thursday night game. I'm willing to watch a bad NFL game on Thursday nights. By Monday night, I'm usually burned out and rarely watch.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're not doing anything about the bye weeks. One of the things that made flex scheduling work was every team had its bye before flex started, so there is always an inventory of 16 games and CBS' and Fox's lineups stay strong even if they lose a good one. Also, mandating byes before Thursday games means two teams are going to be off in Weeks 14 through 16 too, and no way does the NFL want to eliminate local markets during the time they draw the highest ratings.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jon Gruden can turn bad Monday night games into great ones with his zest for the game.

A few weeks back he really convinced me that Tyler Palko was a great QB.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's interesting about the Tirico/Gruden/Jaworski MNF is how the historical ratio of comic entertainment to football value has been completely reversed.

Having spent 40 years as the NFL's weekly lounge act, the show has now become an Xs and Os tutorial.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There was a pretty good article in The New Yorker last week that mentioned that.

I think that Gruden now provides unintended comedy.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I saw the Gruden profile, but haven't read it yet. Sort of an achievement in itself to catch Remnick's eye.

Gruden and Jaws have become mighty chippy lately. Tirico stokes it, of course. But I'm never sure how much of it is real.

Draft saved Draft deleted