1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL 2017 off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 24, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Figure OOP needs a place to talk about the Steelers, and the playoff thread has about run its course.

This is a good speculative start: Roethlisberger openly ponders retirement.

Ben Roethlisberger won't commit to returning next season

I am 95 percent sure this falls into the category of Every NFL Player Wants To Retire In The Weeks Following The Season. But man has that guy taken a beating for 13 years.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yup, and he already has his rings and his likely Hall pass. But yes, I agree it's probably just the usual "Why am I doing this?" that comes with a longtime veteran who's taken a physical pounding in the days after a playoff loss.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Drama queen goes drama queen.

This is the start of his Favre like retirement tour.

QYFW likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm a Steelers fan but he is definitely a drama queen. The dude was sacked an NFL low 17 times this year, so seems like an odd time to get all existential and shit.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

JC may be right about this, though I've always thought the drama queen stuff was overblown. There are better criticisms to throw at Roethlisberger.

Honestly, I hadn't even considered the possibility of Roethlisberger retiring yet until I read this, thinking he had another two or three seasons in him. No way he is going to last as long as Brady, not with all the injuries and the beatings he took earlier in his career.

One thing that helps is the Steelers did a much better job protecting him this season than they had in the past, though part of that is Roethlisberger doing a better job of getting rid of the ball. He still extends plays and that can lead to the worst hits he takes. He was scrambling when he injured his knee against Miami and again late in the playoff win over the Dolphins.

Funny thing is, the sentiment in Pittsburgh seems to be that next year would be a better opportunity than this one. The thinking is they will hopefully have Martavis Bryant back on offense, giving them the No. 2 receiver they lacked this year, and Cameron Heyward on the defensive line, which should improve the pass rush. They won't lose much in free agency, assuming they give Brown an extension and franchise Bell as expected. That may all be motivation to settle any doubts about returning.

What has been interesting to me is the reaction to Brown's live video from the locker room. I had heard some stuff about him being selfish, but the last week or so, it has been like a damn bursting with former teammates and others in the media talking about what a self-absorbed jackass Brown has become. Ryan Clark was particularly critical, saying that Brown really doesn't care what anybody thinks of him, including his teammates and coaches.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A top wide receiver is self centered? Where's my smelling salts?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I like the player, he's been a great QB but nobody plays up an injury better.

That's not to say he isn't tough and doesn't take shots but he sure lets you know when he does.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

We all know the real story of the offseason is where Cutler lands.

JakeandElwood likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

totally. big time hero complex

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ben wants a new contract.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member