1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nfc-afc championship games thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 18, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No. Because "we" predicted they'd be bad before the season, and saying otherwise now would be admitting that football is way harder and more complicated to understand than "we" want to believe.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the Bears are a very good team, but my impression of them is probably skewed by the thrashing the Patriots gave them. It's hard to overlook that one when assessing their chances against a very hot quarterback.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I just think it's tough to judge the NFL on one-week snapshots like that. It was freezing cold and snowy that day. The Patriots got a gift touchdown early on a fumble return, the Bears dropped an INT in the end zone (I think that happened), and it was off to the races after that.

Look at what the Patriots did to the Jets. Look what the Browns did to the Patriots.

I think we tend to put a ton of stock into each NFL game, because the sample size of games is so small as compared to the other three sports. But teams do have good days and bad days, especially in this era.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Shut up, be boop. At this point, YOU'RE the one clinging to the "I'm always right" mantra. I've adjusted my take on the Bears as the season has gone along. You, on the other hand, are hard-wired to repeat the same, stale argument week after week, long after it applies to anyone. Now it's time for a dusting. Go clean up.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree, Dick. But memory is a tough opponent. It's hard to shake the recollection of that last Pats first half touchdown, when the Bears D just went to sleep. I'm on record, I think the NFC title game will be a close, low-scoring affair. I have no formed opinion on who'll win it at all. Have to wait for the paddock parade to make my bet.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Bears defense shuts down Rodgers as well as anyone. Unfortunately, the Packers defense shuts down Cutler even better. He has yet to play a good game against them. That's why I think the Packers as a slight favorite is about right.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Wow. Jerome Bettis is from Detroit and Gardocki never had a punt blocked? Knock me over with a feather. I had no idea. why has the press been keeping that locked up?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

On this we agree. I've been saying for a while that the commish is going overboard in his little power grabs.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

mustang is confusing Steelers fans with the media covering the Steelers. I don't know any fans who ever gave a damn about where Bettis was from or that Gardocki never had a punt blocked. The broadcasters covering the team could get enough of that shit, though.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rozelle and Tagliabue knew how to make everyone rich, make the hard decisions and generally stay out of the way the rest of the time. This commissioner is a clown.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

couldn't disagree more. it hurts the image of the league, which fears becoming perceived like the WWA. it's roger's job to protect the league's image as best he can, as difficult as the players and at least one coach make it for him.

the fact the 'trash talk hurt no one' is not true, nor will it be true down the road. forget for a minute if the trash talk did or didn't result in an injury caused by a cheapshot or incited a hockey-like brawl. it's not what the league wants to present itself as. players get in trouble off the field, there's only so much the league can do when players are on their own time.

but on the league's time, during interview periods and overall decorum during games, i'm fine with goodell at least trying to encourage players and coaches to be classy. too much 'street justice' rhetoric has been taking place, imo.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I agree it looked really fucking stupid, but these are grown men and they're coming off record ratings for some of those playoff games. The teams should be policing the problem players better, and for the most part these are repeat offenders. Bart Scott has been running his mouth for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted