1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up: Portland, ME...the whole f*cking operation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Aug 15, 2008.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Who's going to expose the murder and corruption at Shawshank?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Found out after the paper cleared on Thursday morning that Friday would be the last edition.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry, good sir Slappy. Didn't know/remember the details.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I do. Vividly.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

FX, at least twice a week.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.

In my senior yearbook, my ambition was: "To own the Press Herald." Maybe that'll happen if I get enough money to buy it and resurrect it from the dead.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mine was to edit The National. Imagine how I felt when the paper was dead by the time yearbooks came out.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Sad indeed. Portland's a great town. And that was, not long ago, a great paper for its size.
    Still, I've got to think that talk is at least somewhat a negotiating ploy with the union. Southern Maine's not that bad off that it can't support a daily paper. Certainly not the first place I'd think a paper would fold.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I do wonder how, if at all, this specific situation would be different had the Seattle JOA issue come out differently a year ago or so (whenever the heck that was...I know I should know). Not to say I want/wanted the P-I to close (hell, I love that staff way more than the Times'), but I do wonder ... and the Times' can't be doing well either, what with Blethen having issues and McClatchy, well, McClatchy...

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe any chain would leave a 90K market to an alt-weekly and a glorified shopper-advertiser.

11. And don't forget the Dallas Times Herald. It was folded on a Sunday morning effective immediately and the writers in the field found out from the folks at the Dallas Morning News.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, sums up your career in a truly prophetic way

Draft saved Draft deleted