1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up: Fenway. Well, first Cape Cod, then Fenway

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, May 7, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

On the drive back from Chicago this weekend, The Future and I discussed plans on going to the northeast, specifically Boston though details haven't been confirmed. Need some advice from SportsJournalists.com Northeast.

Here are our options:
    1) Drive. It's about 10 hours to Niagara Falls, where we'd stop for a day, and eight more to Boston. Spend four of seven days on the road, but get to Niagara Falls, Boston and Rhode Island (mostly for Block Island).

2a) Fly. Did the math and flying is about the same when you add the extra hotel stays. We don't get to Niagara Falls, but we spend four or five days in Boston.

2b) Fly. See above, but we stay in Providence, RI (or another suggestion). We take a couple days in Boston, but spend the most of our time on a relaxing coast line in Rhode Island (or another suggestion).

Regardless of the options, we're going to Fenway. They play a three-game series the week we're planning on going. Quite frankly, we're leaning toward flying.

Here are my questions:
    1) If we stay in Boston, how counterproductive is it to rent a car? Seems like walking the city is pretty easy, and public transportation is plentiful. How easy is Boston's "T" and/or other transit systems?

2) If we stay in Providence (or another suggestion), we'll rent a car. How painful is it to drive/find parking at landmark destinations in Boston? We wouldn't drive to Fenway, but find a park-and-ride type thing to the park.

3) Any tips on must-visit stops in Boston?

4) For those that fly often (unlike myself), tips on finding good airline deals? I've got expedia, priceline, travelocity bookmarked ... and I'll check Southwest, AA, etc. before purchasing.

5) Open to any other suggestions I haven't mentioned.

Muchos gracias, SportsJournalists.com Northeast ... or any other locale of advice.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: Next up: Fenway. Calling all northeastern SportsJournalists.com members

If you stay in Boston, don't bother with a car. The "T" is great and gets you anywhere you need to go.

If you stay in Providence (which I highly recommend), you can rent a car and drive it to either the Attleboro "T" stop or Quincy. It's about 30-45 minutes in by train, costs like $2 and you don't have to worry about parking. Last "T" out is at midnight, I believe, so bear that in mind if you're planning on hitting the bars.

Personally, I don't think you need four or five days in Boston. One or two and you'd be able to see the best stuff. Hitting up the R.I. shoreline (particularly Block Island) is a nice side trip.

My must-visit stops in Boston mostly include bars -- Cask n Flagon on game day, Boston Beer Works, Sullivan's Tap (near the Fleet Center), etc. -- but I'm a huge fan of the Boston Museum of Science. If you're looking for historical sites, Beacon Hill is a nice area and there's "trail" you can follow that hits up some of the big ones. Just find a map at one of the local shops and it will point out all of that stuff.

On Block Island, Ballard's is a great beach bar, Captain Nick's, The Yellow Kitten (I think that's what it's called -- I was pretty drunk when we got there) and The National are all good spots.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Hadn't priced flights from Chicago to Providence, but that adds a considerable amount to the ticket price. Looks like Chicago to Logan, drive to Providence is option 2b.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Chicago to Logan and rent a car there might be an option, too (just for going to R.I. -- you don't need a car in Boston). Providence is about a 45-minute drive from Boston. The south coast is about an hour and half.

5. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Can't go wrong eating in the North End, Boston's Italian neighborhood. Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall are in easy walking distance and are fun to shop in during the day and drink at night.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Look at Midwest. If you're flying out of Chicago, you might as well make it to Milwaukee. I found flights from Boston to KC for the wedding for about $220 roundtrip.

7. Re: Next up: Fenway. Calling all northeastern SportsJournalists.com members

Chi Midway to Prov (TF Green) on Southwest should be pretty cheap if you book 2 weeks in advance. Cheaper than driving by far.

You can get a shuttle to the Providence rail station from TF Green for about $10 bucks per person -t he rail station is right next to the RI state house and downtown Providience if you want to take some time to walk around - and then take the train into South Station. If you are cash challenged - you may want to look into Boston hostels instead of hotels. (I really don't know what to say other than try Google for hostels in Boston).

In addition to Cask and Flagon - make sure you go to Copperfields.

I'd second the Museum of Science and JFK museum (I gave the men in my wedding party walking stick umbrellas because at the museum I saw that was what JFK did at his wedding). Also consider the New England Aquarium (walking distance from Fanuiel Hall - get a picture of you rubbing the statute of Red Auerbach's head while you are there) and seeing the USS Constitution (check to see if its open).

Even if you aren't into spending money - if it is a nice day - take your honey for a walk down Newbury Street. Also be sure to check out Harvard Sq. in Cambridge while you are in Boston. Just take the T to get there. If you have a few bucks to spare and its a nice day - the Duck Tours is also very nice. You can catch the tours at the Museum of Science.

If you want - let me know when you are in town and if I'm around - I'll gladly stand you a couple of rounds.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

And save a child from a truck bearing down on it at 90 miles an hour in the middle of the day, like this fucking hero!!!!

[​IMG]

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

good suggestion by all.....

no need for a car, its a great "walking city".

Send me a PM....

10. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

Parking in Boston is, as they say, a wicked pissah. Thanks to the T, it's an easy city to get get around. If you stay outside of town anywhere, it might be easiest to park at one of the outer T stops with a parking garage (Alewife in Cambridge/Arlington, for example), and take the subway in to the city. The garages charge less than 10 bucks a day to park. I've had no problems parking overnight.

Oh, and dinner in the North End.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Take the T. No comparison at all for ease of getting around.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, if you're heading to Rhody, a trip to Newport worth the time. Great city.

Draft saved Draft deleted