1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up -- ESPN??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 29, 2009.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

ESPN is showing that it's become a bloated entity that needs to go on a diet. That shit happens when you overshoot beyond what you do well and venture into the realm of "let's just do this for the power grab."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be curious what percentage of ESPN "writers/bloggers" aren't going to see another contract. I'll bet it's pretty high.

3. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

David Ubben, a former intern at The Oklahoman who has been the No. 2 guy on the OU beat since August, had his last day at the paper today and will replace Tim Griffin.

4. Mizzougrad96

Wow, so he's been the number 2 guy on the beat for six whole months?

I don't care if he's the next Wright Thompson. That's a colossal reach.

5. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

Well, Mizzou, he did attend your alma mater. ;D

I think with the emphasis placed on volume in this job, I think Mr. Ubben is going to be just fine.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Following in Tim Griffin's footsteps should be easy. He's not exactly a journalism legend.

7. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

Jesus, you don't have to tear someone down to make your point.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So ESPN hired a guy who graduated in May and has one season helping cover Oklahoma to be its Big 12 blogger? He's had a good year.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm aware of where he went to school. Even Wright Thompson covered LSU for two seasons before he got a features jobs at the KC Star. He goes from being a backup to ESPN's main guy for an entire conference.

Nothing against the kid, but c'mon...

10. Now if he had done preps at Salt Lake on the other hand ...

(Nothing against her either, but it was on the tee.)

11. Mizzougrad96

Agree... With that group, you have a couple of great hires (Low, Miller) followed by a couple OK hires and a couple WTF hires.

Draft saved Draft deleted