1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up -- ESPN??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

$100 K a year for a BLOGGER? Now, that's insane.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The NFL guys do a lot more than the college guys.

3. highlander

highlander Member

Sorry: The "Others" blogger written anything interesting all season. Sure hope he/she not one of them pulling $100,000.

4. Mizzougrad96

Without naming names, I would say 2-3 on that list were good hires, one is awful and the others are very, very mediocre.

Nowhere close to the level of the NFL guys. I would say all of the NFL guys are very good with one exception.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I won't mention names, but there's at least one person on that list that's a prime example of someone who mostly just posts links to other people's stories and rewrites press releases.

With the media getting less and less access to college athletics, I just don't see a huge benefit from having someone in Colorado blogging about something at Notre Dame, Florida or Washington.

With rare exception, it's no better than what someone else can blog from their basement.

If I want to see something of substance about those schools, I'll read copy from the local beat guys - who are at the practices, games, players and coaches on a regular basis.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

I don't see this model lasting much beyond the length of the contracts. The information is not lacking, but it isn't especially urgent nor sought from a national perspective. Colleges, with few exceptions, are far bigger in their immediate bases.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Why aren't the college bloggers doing more basketball? Fine, put an emphasis on football, but some of them barely touch the hoops at all. Maybe that will change after Wednesday when recruiting is finished...

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I totally agree. Basically, it's Katz and little else for college basketball blogging.

Sadly, I expect all of ESPN's recruiting coverage to only get bigger and bigger. Another cash cow.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And, whom, pray tell, is reading all this stuff?

Or, more to the point, how are they selling and making money off any of this?

10. Mizzougrad96

I follow ESPN's college football coverage pretty extensively and Low and Miller were the only ones who I ever saw break news during the season. I know that's not the primary part of their jobs, but it should still happen a few times a year, even if it's by default. Funny that the national guys seem to kick their asses.

11. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Tim Griffin is no longer the Big 12 blogger. I don't know if he's still with ESPN, but I do know that position is being replaced. Can't say who just yet.

12. Mizzougrad96

The should hire B.G. Brooks, formerly of the Rocky Mountain News. Although Brooks' name wasn't among the ones I've heard mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted