1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up -- ESPN??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree on Low, he's very good. So is Ted Miller...

From what I heard, almost as soon as they were all hired people were saying, "What the fuck are all of these people going to cover?"

The woman who covers the Big 12 rarely seemed to do anything other than say, "The KC Star wrote this today..." The Fort Worth Star-Telegram wrote this...

2. kcsportscaster

kcsportscaster New Member

4. Erin Andrews
    5. John Kruk
    6. Most of the football studio only analysts

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Erin Andrews??? Sometimes that's the only reason to watch ESPN. Sage Steel would be one to go, she adds nothing to the First Take show.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hey, don't be messing with Sage. I like Sage.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The problem with the bloggers is they are unable to pound pavement. They don't go to the weekly media days and in college football that is sometimes the only way you get things.

Unlike the NFL, which everyone knows everyone, you have to massage sources in college. It's hard if you aren't there daily on a college beat to get anything out of that school because of the tyrant/dictatorship/totalitarian media policy.

ESPN would be better off hiring a beat guy to do side blog work at each BCS school on a contract basis. Instead of $100,000 for one blogger, how about $10,000-$20,000 for a freelancer in the area for the season.

Essentially, ESPN hires beat writers for every BCS team out there. I like some of the blogs, it's a good secondary read. But, they don't break news because they are on an island.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ESPN college blogger

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sounds similar to my experience. Did several rounds of phone interviews, the email test of sports knowledge, etc. Last I heard from them was in November. Just figured I wasn't their guy. Maybe the position was frozen or they haven't hired anyone.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>"...a source tells us that there’s concern about whether or not some of the writers have the ability to crossover onto the TV side, which can be difficult.</i>

Hello? <u>John Clayton.</u>

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What college bloggers are making $100,000? Most of them aren't making 50,000.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I know one ESPN blogger hired last summer. He makes 90K, but ... here's the catch ... no benefits. He has to purchase health insurance for he and his family on his own.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

None of them have benefits -- the one guy I talked to in the fall told me he WAS OFFERED 48,000 with no benefits.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I can't believe my guy makes twice what your guy makes. That's crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted