1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next time you think we have a troll problem at SJ, read this

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 12, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

1) Does Reddit promise anonymity?

2) Anyone who knows me in real life would need about five minutes of reviewing my post history here to figure out who I am. Some people already have, including one who dropped a reference to it in a group email involving me and other friends. I would be comfortable if someone gave me that treatment, yes. I also think it would be a horrifically boring read and not worth anyone's time to write about me. But, to tell the truth, I post here with the idea that if I am confronted, I should be able to defend everything I've written.

3) All this theoretical discussion goes out the window when the behavior in question is posting creepshots of young girls and all the other niceties this douchiest of douchebags engages in. Fuck him. I don't care if his life is ruined.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck, anything that makes someone think twice about being a pure turd on the Net is fine with me.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I see a slight difference between YGBFKM's nearly 11,000 posts and doodah's behavior and what this guy did. A slight difference.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tough to be sympathetic to a virtual predator.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.reddit.com/help/faq#Ispostingpersonalinformationok

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sure. But I'm curious what would happen if a board member, let's say an established one, were to post something similarly slimy but not illegal on this board. Would outing him or her become acceptable upon the misdeed? Where is the line in sliminess drawn?

7. Johnny Dangerously

It would never reach that point, so I don't think you'd ever find out.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK to #1 then. I'm sure the Gawker writer is now banned from Reddit. I'm not sure what the hell else could possibly happen to him beyond that. And I'm equally sure some constitutional scholar on Reddit is citing the First Amendment and how this is a violation of Violentacrez's free speech.

I understand the SportsJournalists.com promise of anonymity, but I also understand that the only thing it applies to is the universe of SportsJournalists.com.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

To answer Versatilez's question: It depends on whether he supports Obama or Romney. [/sorrymoddycouldntresist:)]

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Agreed. I don't know how you can think that. There almost never are moderators on from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. ET. Anything could be posted in that time frame. Not many posters would notice, but some (including, generally, me) would.

11. Johnny Dangerously

You think someone on this site could even begin to approach the body of work of this guy? Did you even read the piece?

12. Johnny Dangerously

A bushel of apples and thousands and thousands of apples. You're seriously comparing what this guy did over years on that site to what someone could do in a few hours on this site?

Draft saved Draft deleted