1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next in Line ... Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Translation: We need to continue doing more of the "more" we've begun doing so well lately. However, we urgently need to do it all with less. Thank you so much, now go f*** yourselves.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When layoffs are announced, why the hell can't publishers just say, "We have to dump X amounts of people because the people who are in upper management at this paper fucked up and here's how they fucked up. We're sorry about needing to cut jobs. We wish everyone who leaves the best of luck in the future."

Instead of all the corporate gobblely-gook that they spew out of the memos now.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they cut Garry Howard, could they save everyone else in sports?

4. Joe Williams

Bottom line might only improve marginally, but morale would skyrocket and for a while, I believe those troops actually could do more with less.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many in sports took the buyouts last year. I only know of one of the assistant sports editors. I don't know if there were others.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Morale would improve if Garry left? Why is that? That's not a challenge. I don't know. I'm curious.

7. Joe Williams

You talk to any of the worker bees there? The ones I know have very little respect for the journalism or character of their SE. Not just the usual griping-in-the-trenches, either. My impression is, SE manages "up" and "out" a lot better than he manages "down." Which, IMHO, is back-asswards.

8. Moderator1

Interesting. I know him to say hello, he spoke at an API seminar I attended. I just read his chapter in that book everyone recommended for my class. I know he's a "name" in the business and appears to be well respected by other SEs. But I know nothing of what his staff thinks or what working for him is like.

9. Joe Williams

Classic definition of managing "up" and "out." Gets him hired, keeps his spot at the table with cronies. All of which has little to do with putting out a paper or leading a staff. It's all second hand, I admit, but it's second hand from multiple inside sources.

10. Moderator1

Define up and out.

11. Joe Williams

Managing up is basically doing your bosses' bidding, making them feel good about themselves and their decision to hire you. That isn't necessarily bad, but it can be bad in the hands of a self-promoter and office-politicker. These are the lieutenants about whom it has been said many times: In battle, they would be shot by their own troops.

Managing out is what you alluded to, the fact that other SEs think highly of someone. Sure -- they don't have to work for that person. They don't need that editor to have their backs on tough stories or grueling work weeks or ethical stands. Again, there might be value in playing the role of SE to the readership, but that's not so much what I'm talking about.

And to me, both of those directions should be secondary to managing down, i.e., how you manage and lead your staff.

Guess the bright side is, some of those who have been troubled by the way things are done in Milwaukee won't have to be troubled by that much longer. ::)

12. Moderator1

OK, thanks.
    Managing down I got. What your describe is often called kissing the right asses!

My thinking is I was sports' rep in management, not management's rep in sports. Some of my upper management didn't like that so much but it is an important distinction to me. I was one of them as their manager.
    That's why I tried to do anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted