1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...next caller.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Dec 21, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Moland. Breaking this story by 10 minutes on the web is no big deal.
    Nobody outside of the business cares who "broke" a story, especially of a trade that everyone knew was going to happen at any minute.
    The breaking a story concept gets waaaaaaaaay to much play arouond here. We care, and we should because it's our job, but our readers for the most part have no idea who actually broke a story.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

MAN
    BREAKS
    PENIS

This was an actual headline on the cover of a daily tab I worked at in Kingston, Jamaica. Talk about breaking news ...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Big Lead, the irony here is that Aldridge used to work for ESPN, and they were always taking news that someone else had reported and putting it on the air or on their website with "ESPN's David Aldridge is reporting..." The reality was that that Aldridge had just confirmed news that had already been reported by someone else.

I don't understand why he would send that e-mail. It makes him look bad. ESPN let him go, so it just comes off as sour grapes (to me, at least). No one really gives a shit if you had a story everyone was going to get 10 minutes before everyone else. In the grand scheme of things, what did that do for the Philadelphia Inquirer?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A huge AMEN rains down from the chorus.

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I never said the readers care... What I said was, any reporter that doesn't care about getting beat on the biggest NBA story of the year is in the wrong business.
    Am I wrong? Isn't breaking news our job?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But when you get "beat" by 10 minutes on a Web site, you're not really getting beat.

The fact of the matter is: "breaking" news, as regarding the common practice, is overrated. Being the first person to say where Allen Iverson got traded ... does not matter. No one cares who has it first. No one cares who "broke" that story. No one remembers because no one cares.

Now ... digging for a story like the S.F. Chron reporters did, getting information that no one else has, and writing about it ... that's when people care who did the work. But so few people engage in that type of reporting, that nobody's making a fuss over it.

Your point is well-taken, Moland. But there's not a way in the world that anyone can "beat" or "get beat" on this Iverson story -- or any "big" story, like a T.O. story, that gets so much hype beforehand and so much chatter afterward -- once it's out there, it's out there for everyone. And it doesn't matter who had it first, last, or anywhere in between.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry, Buck, but I care. It's part of what we do on the web. And by the way, it makes it more fun.

Is it going to change the world in the grand scheme of things? Absolutely not.

But when you get that "as first reported by xxxxxx" in a web story, it's great stuff.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I agree with buck.

We get caught up in the "inside baseball" stuff that doesn't mean a thing to the readers.

Balco is a big deal. Being first by 10 minutes -- or hell, make it a full hour -- on Iverson? Not so much.

9. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I understand all this. I get that readers don't care who beats who by 10 minutes, especially because so much of it is who posts it faster now. But still... There is something fulfilling about walking into a press box, looking at a competitor, and knowing he learned the news when he read it on your Web site. For me, that's what keeps me going at the news. Readers may not care. But I still do.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

right on buck. we agree on this.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It depends on the story, though.

If you're David Aldridge and you feel satisfied because your Iverson story hit the Web 10 minutes before ESPN got ahold of it ... well, you've lost focus of the big picture.

If you're Karen Crouse, and you just polished off the final writethru of your Laveranues Coles story ... now that's something to be fulfilled about.

It doesn't matter who breaks the first story -- and you shouldn't feel fulfilled if you're the one breaking it. The thing about news is, it's new every day. Then it gets old, and then what do you have?

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I wonder what your employers would think of all these responses.

Understand, at 36, I think very differently than I did at 26. Ten years ago, I wanted to beat everybody at every waiver-wire transaction. Now, I understand the big picture. Sometimes you will win, and sometimes you will lose. That's life.

However, that doesn't mean I have to put up with b.s. To me, claimining a scoop when it isn't yours equates with plagiarism. After all, if ESPN is claiming it broke the Iverson trade when another outlet really got it first, that deserves close scrutiny.

No, the viewers don't care. I understand that. But we care. And we should monitor ourselves for accuracy and expediency. As much as Aldridge annoyed me that day, it doesn't mean that he should be ripped off, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted