1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next assignment: D.C., L.A., or Chicago: Where would you live?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 2, 2016.

?

Where would you live

1. D.C.

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Chicago

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. L.A.

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

An pretty interesting opportunity has befallen me, and it looks like my next assignment could very well be in one of these cities.

The assignment in D.C. would be downtown, just under a mile from the White House. The L.A. assignment would be in Long Beach, while the Chicago assignment would be in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.

While the assignments are all very similar, the D.C. assignment would be a big more prestigious, but also a bit harder to get -- interview process, and all. They're all three cool with me, though.

All other things equal, where would you live?

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Being born and raised in Chicagoland, I voted that way ... and Lincoln Park is a great neighborhood (assuming you can afford to live there).

That being said ... if you dislike cold weather as much as I think/remember, the Long Beach option might be best. California natives could address this better, but it seems the Long Beach area is a bit self-contained; you wouldn't have to drive all over the LA region with its horrible traffic. (Again, I'm basing this on just a couple visits to the Long Beach area).

Plus the West Coast has the sunshine, and the girls all get so tan ... ;)

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've never been to LA, and I've only spent a long weekend in DC, but I really love Chicago. Plus, it'd be close to Wrigley (where I'll be next week for the Cards series). Those winters, though. That would definitely be a factor. I have a friend who's lived there for years and is moving this fall. Said he can't take anymore of those winters.

Each of the assignments would be 18 months to two years.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I voted Chicago and would have had DC at No. 2 but I think Coco is spot on. If you can avoid the chaos of LA for the most part, that could be a good gig too.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If my stay was May to September, I'd pick Chicago in a heartbeat.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The way I would order them:
    1) Long Beach - warm, and plenty of ways to explore. Beaches, mountains, desert, and hell, skiing isn't that far away either if so inclined.
    2) DC - museums, and hey, a LOT of SJ folks are in this area, so plenty of opportunities for mini-outings. Downsides - traffic and the possibility of the town getting nuked off the face of the Earth.
    3) chitown - meh. COLD. Nice place to visit when it is warm, but I wouldn't want to live there. I do like all the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings there.

Professionally? Go for DC!!! Give it a shot.

VB

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LB.

My hometown and so much to do, and so close to everything.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

DC. I'm buying the first round at the Russia House.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Is the assignment exactly the same in each city? I'd avoid Chicago winters, but it would come down to quality of assignment in a decision between Long Beach and DC. You could join the board's strong contingent of Nats fans in Washington, plus it seems like kind of an important place in terms of military decision making.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Because of the weather, I voted for D.C. instead of Chicago, even though I love Chicago.

I worked in D.C. for 7 years, lived in Maryland. Lots to do in the city. Train ride to lots of other cities with stuff to do. Not far from the Shenandoahs/Skyline Drive.

If it's only a 2 year assignment, max, you could probably manage to get through one or two Chicago winters.

If the D.C. job is more prestigious, is it also a better long term career move?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No bad choices here. Good luck!

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's all personal preference, obviously. I lived in Chicago a long time ago. I loved it. Not sure how it would work at this point in my life, but out of those three, it would probably be my first choice. DC would be second. I feel like I can live happily in very few places, and DC has always been on the list as a place where I would be less miserable than most others. :) If it was a better job in DC, that would push it to DC for me over Chicago, even though I prefer Chicago as a city. LA would be last by a lot -- just personal preference; no dig against anyone who lives there. I am just not an LA type.

Draft saved Draft deleted