1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newton (N.C.) Observer News Enterprise, sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I know someone at this shop. And by that, I mean 25 percent of the newsroom.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You make it sound like some of the small towns around me -- the principal is also the fire marshall and the town doctor and the shop owner...

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Kind of like that. She writes crime, meetings, features, takes photos and lays out pages. Oh, and everyone but the sports guy has to have their pages done by 5 p.m. So we know they're breaking a lot of information.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

So, Sports deadline is like, what, 7 p.m.?

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Knew two previous SEs at this joint, one I liked and the other, well...Neither one lasted that long. I'd hold out for the Daily Record or News Topic in Lenoir.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Funny you should mention Lenoir -- that's where the O-N-E's current SE is heading, to be the paper's design editor

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a step up for sure. It's too bad the O-N-E is basically a sweatshop because as some have said Newton is in a nice area and there are some decent preps to cover. One of the main schools is Maiden and covering a football game there is a treat. Maiden's coach, Tom Brown, is a liiving legend ahd one of the most colorful, quotable people ever.

The O-N-E can't compete with the Hickory Daily Record, whose SE, Chris Hobbs, busts his tail to put out an excellent sports section.

Draft saved Draft deleted