1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newt Gingrich, The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 9, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Mitt certainly doesn't have the Christian right, but neither does Perry.

Perry might have a chance at them -- and Romney really doesn't -- but right now, he's not looked upon as a Christian Right standard bearer.

2. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

A can of Coca-Cola?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never heard of Perry. I don't love him, but at least I've heard of Mitt.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

He's been Gov. of Texas since December of 2000 (stepping up from Lt. Gov when GWB left office), and he had no national profile.

I lived in Texas at the time (and for another four years), and I'm a right wing political geek, so I've heard of him. But, he has no accomplishments to claim and no signature issue.

(Texas has a very weak Governor. GWB's election aside, it's a tough place to implement your political philosophy and use it as a launching pad.)

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

If anything, he may be best known nationally by the epithet given to him by the late Molly Ivins: Gov. Goodhair.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That, and repeatedly pumping the idea, in all seriousness, of Texas seceding from the United States.

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I can tell you what Mitt has that Perry ain't got: A shitload of money. And that really might make all the difference this time out.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Rick Perry has access to Texas oil money, and lots of it.

Romney's Mormon money is Chris Rock money; Perry's oil money is Oprah money.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

In this era of $4 a gallon gas and with memories of the BP oil spill still fresh in the public's mind, do you really think that's going to attract voters?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"Repeatedly pumping the idea"? "In all seriousness"? You might want to try getting your facts lined up. Try the Austin Statesman and PolitiFact Texas.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Where Perry gets the money from will hurt him less than just having the money will help him.

The more money you have, the more advertising you can buy to get your message in front of the voters' eyes and ears. The more you get your message in front of the voters' eyes and ears, the more likely they are to remember you the way you want them to remember you.

12. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Romney's got his own money. That matters. At a certain point, he'll be able to keep up the slog even if people stop betting on him.

Draft saved Draft deleted