1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek: The No. 1 most useless college degree is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Keep in mind, all of you, that it's the average salary for journalism/communication majors, not journalists.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Also, this is a Daily Beast list, and The Daily Beast isn't nearly as credible as Newsweek.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I enjoyed a good laugh about that one. I remember my days of living on Mexican pancakes, which were the cheap-ass tortillas nuked in the microwave with syrup and Ramen noodles because every bill was due and I had $100 to last me a week. I remember my buddy and I got the $5 square pizza from Little Caesars and thinking it was a delicacy.
    Ah...the days.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The person managing a Dunkin' does indeed make more. Good times!

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To both of you though - Why? Who in their right mind wants to clean shit and haul garbage for the rest of their life for $25k to $45k a year? The type of soul that is OK with that job for a significant period of time is probably not the most enlightened soul.

I think a better comparison would be to, say, data entry at a state college. Those jobs, like inputting library books into a university electronic card catalog, start at $33k with full benefits, regular breaks and work days, and step-salary increases. I applied like crazy for those jobs when I was laid off from journalism.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you're describing journalism or the custodial arts here.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Sick of being the lowest paid guy in the freakin' room who everyone turns to for answers and thoughts. I know morons who make twice what I do. I have talked to some other well-paid people who can't believe it either. They just can't fathom talent is that cheap in newspapers.

I love the profession, hate the business.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I had a part-time sports job on a small daily as a high school kid, and the paper's editor told me that majoring in journalism would be stupid -- major in political science, economics, history, even business. I was a philosophy major (beat that for useless!) and wound up opting for no degree at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted