1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek rips Duke lacrosse prosecutor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by flaming_mo, Jun 18, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Leave it to trounced to take the "hang 'em high" attitude on this.

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

I stated my position on this from the very beginning, while nearly everyone else was sharpening the blade on the guillotine and putting the poison in the needle to use against any Duke lacrosse player. I'll continue to stand by my position.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do people really think at this point that a rape has been committed?

And the courtroom is the LAST place where the truth can be found. I'm much more likely to see courtrooms containing more of biases, lies, jury nullification, and lawyer parlor tricks than the truth. I don't know what courtrooms you guys have been in but finding the truth is pretty far down the list of priorities in a U.S. courtroom.

4. Nonsense.
    Carry on.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

C'mon, dude.

A criminal trial is nothing about "finding the truth". Who are we kidding here?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So long as the popular definition of a "good lawyer" is someone who keeps lawbreakers out of jail . . .

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I think the lesson we've all learned from this is to steer clear of the school bullies.
    If anybody saw the recent Rolling Stone article, it takes on the culture at Duke where much of the female student body (obviously of different socialeconomic status than the accuser) is trying to engage lacrosse players for sex as a status thing, even if they often get treated like dung afterward. What happened that night may not rise to the level of proveable rape, but this article certainly explains the entitled attitudes these guys and their social and legal posse strut around with, and why many Duke girls (including the female lacrosse team) are knee-jerkedly defending these guys. It only reinforces the arrogance we've seen on display.
    There's so much resentment toward the victim because, regardless of whether or not her charges are true, she's blown the lid off a toxic campus culture the rich kids are used to smoothing over for fun, profit and career advancement.

8. trounced

trounced Active Member

This differs from almost every other college campus in what way?

9. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

I read the RS article, and it was a great read, but it didn't convince me that the sexual culture at Duke is any different than any other major American university.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I think the lesson is actually that being presumptuous is dangerous. There were a lot of assumptions and judgments made on both sides of this issue regardless of how information was available to support such assumptions and judgments.

11. Actually, it's the only place we have to do that in regards to criminal matters. I certainly am not going to leave it up to journalists, Internet cowboys, and tactical pre-trial leaking from either side.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Poin, the truth has to come out somewhere. If not in the courts, then where? Certainly there are journalists out there willing to champion certain causes for a story, but what about those people not entitled enough to be Duke lacrosse players (or a senator, judge, wealthy individual, pretty white girl, etc.)? Where does the average person turn to for the truth to come out, other than the courtroom or with a baseball bat upside someone's head?

The system may not work perfectly, especially with lawyers stinking worse than a pile of dead skunk livers, but what else do we have to depend on at this point?

Draft saved Draft deleted