1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek rips Duke lacrosse prosecutor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by flaming_mo, Jun 18, 2006.

1. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13392547/site/newsweek/

It is possible, almost three months later, that the players are maintaining a conspiracy of silence. But it seems highly unlikely. Rather, court documents in the case increasingly suggest that Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong had very little evidence upon which to indict three players for rape. Indeed, the available evidence is so thin or contradictory that it seems fair to ask what Nifong could have been thinking when he confidently told reporters that there was "no doubt" in his mind that the woman had been raped at the party held by the lacrosse team.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This has reached the Kobe Bryant/Kate Faber level:

No, the spoiled, pampered and privileged perp/perps probably did not commit a sexual crime as legally defined.

Yes, the spoiled, pampered and privileged perps most likely engaged in harmful, degrading and generally disgusting sexual behavior.

Yes, the spoiled, pampered and privileged perps were/are attempting to smear the alleged victim as their primary defense technique.

Yes, the personal sexual conduct of the alleged victim is considerably short of exemplary. From all indications, the alleged victims are indeed what would be commonly called sluts. That said, sluts can still be raped.

The testimony and accounts of the alleged victims appear to be highly contradictory and in large part fabricated.

The apparently instinctive/reflexive reaction of sports fans in both instances to instantly leap to the defense of the alleged sexual predators is revealing.

Bottom line: Always assume the worst of everybody. To hell with all of 'em.

3. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Perhaps you missed the entire season being cancelled, the coach getting fired, the daily vigils on campus, the hysterical media coverage and other things that would suggest there were few people "leaping" to defend the Duke lacrosse team.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Oh, c'mon. There were people who jumped to conclusions on both sides of this thing. Can't we at least agree on that? Starman's post is pretty much right on. Bottom line is the woman should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if the rape never happened. The players didn't deserve to get accused of a crime they didn't commit, but let's not forget what they were doing that night. They have nothing to be proud of, either.

5. Starman you probably made some good points, but I can't get past you naming Kobe's accuser.

6. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

If this was 2003 or 2004 I'd agree with you on the Kobe accuser identity, however since she did file a civil lawsuit against Kobe under her real name, her name is out in the public record.

7. Does that make it public record if it's a civil suit? I don't know, I haven't heard her named anywhere. Either way, I just think it's unnecessary.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That was the magic moment.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, it's absolutely a public record now.

10. I stand corrected then. But it still makes me uneasy. Call it my own little deal where I'm the last holdout on uttering her name.

11. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

I have no problems with Kate Faber's name being mentioned. In fact, I think her name should have been mentioned by the papers after she dropped the charges. All the money-leeching liars piss me off.

I mean Kobe Bryant is being accused of a major crime he didn't commit. In that situation, Kobe's name was more worthy of protection than Kate.

I am guilty of jumping on the Duke lacrosse players are guilty bandwagon. A lot of people were. That's why 30-some innocent guys lost a season. It's bullshit, and the accuser needs to face major consequences. I don't think people should think of Duke lacrosse players as bad people. I played on a college sports team and we had one party a year where we hired a stripper. A lot of teams do. It's innocent fun. And I can guarantee most people on my team, and the others teams, are genuinely good people. It just happened that one lying bitch decided she was going to go after the Duke players, probably because of their name value, for whatever bad-hearted incentive she had.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's absurd. By that logic, any time a person was acquitted of a crime you would go after his accuser for making an accusation that didn't stick. Unless perhaps you mean that only certain accusers (strippers with a police record) whose claims don't pass muster for a conviction should be prosecuted.

Draft saved Draft deleted