1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek piece on the Global Warming "Denial Machine"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Aug 8, 2007.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I do. People, and corporations, do what they are incented to do. The reason those companies are so profitable is because they have good businesspeople running them who know how to best navigate through the regulatory system while still giving their customers what they want. Put restrictions on them, and the same people will figure out a way to make it work. If they don't, somebody else will. Market rules.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

That has nothing to do with whether the specific Kyoto restrictions would have worked in America, as opposed to smaller European or Asian nations.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Is there some middle ground you're standing on? Perhaps you are driving a four-barrel Camaro but only go 30 mph?

Everyone pollutes. It's just a matter of how much.

4. Really? Find me the liberal think-tank, or the lefty sugar daddy, that is offering 10K to any scientist who can come up with a study that yields precisely the result they want.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Robust economy?

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

WHAT?!?!?! Sixteen posts regarding global warming so far and none from old_tony???

Is armageddon approaching???

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Probably fell into one of those boiling rivers caused by global warming.

8. The point of the piece is being missed.
    Industry finances scientists to develop studies that will -- not MIGHT, WILL -- produce exactly the results that the industry wants. This is not science. It's salesmanship. It's propaganda. It's what the tobacco companies did for 50 years. Whatever the data on global warming says, somebody will buy a scientist to say otherwise, for money, data be damned. There is a reason why the industries are doing this, and it's not the free marketplace of ideas.

9. JackS

JackS Member

You should read "The Fluoride Deception" by Christopher Bryson.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The owner of the Utah mine where the collapse happened devotes part of a press conference to ranting about global warming regulations ... http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/8/7/112455/5447

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

10-Second Threadjack: I FUCKING HATE this kind of writing: "I realized," says Boxer, "there was a movement behind this that just wasn't giving up."

A one sentence quote with the "says Boxer" thrown in to add drama where none exists.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled Global Warming discussion already in progress.

P.S. We're all warm. We live in houses and work in buildings, drive cars and pollute the air. We're all over the globe. Global warming is real.

12. Jack --
    My parents, both good, god-fearing Americans, were active in the anti-fluoride politics of the 1950's and early 1960's. I still get the bends thinking about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted