1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

newspapers vs. da net

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by floria, Sep 6, 2007.

1. floria

floria New Member

Long time reader but first time poster. I've been in the newspaper business for seven years. In those years, I thought I was pretty well-rounded (not just physically). I could cover a high school football game, drive back to office, write story, edit other reporter's story, pound out the baseball or agate page while calling other coaches to get their scores. I won awards for my design but I really wanted to write. So I left for another job that made me a full-time reporter. I love it because I hate sitting at my desk all day.
    But the recent push my newspaper (and I'm sure others) for more Internet-driven stuff, I'm starting to wonder if I'm left behind. We've done interviews with coaches leading up to the start of the season and have about a 10-minute Web show on high school football. I'm in the south, it's kind of big down here. I tried to help but two of my videos had problems with sound or light and, according to my boss, I should have known about it.
    The point is, is there a class I can take? The people at my job who know what they are doing can't or won't take the time to show me how. Is there a book? My laptop at home isn't the most friendly to try to upload things and my camera was the ones with all the "technical difficulties."
    It just seems wierd. I remember learning about writing a lead in seventh grade. I could design on a page on Quark before I could drive. I'm 28 and feel out of the loop. Does anyone else feel this way and can anyone help?

Gracias,

Floria

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the skills that made you good in papers can make you good on the web.

don't listen to the idiots who tell you it's about the technology, because it ain't.

it's about the content. and the storytelling.

just keep working it

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey, if you think you screwed up, do something about it. i'm not disagreeing with spaceman, but shit, you're only 28, and in the long run, only you can answer that question and live with it.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

i agree with Mr. Petty. It's way early in this game. You ain't left outta nuttin'

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

How?

Did your paper provide video training courses? Did your staff sit in meetings to learn about light and sound?

Or did they give you a video camera and say, "Shoot video, too, for the Internet."

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

28 seems to young to give up on learning how to use web-based content to your advantage. If you're going to stay in newspapers, you're going to have to learn how to shoot video, edit, etc.

It's not that hard. I'd say just watch local news shows and pay attention to the packages that air. Also, just ask about things like the rule of thirds (keeping a subject in a third of the camera), head room (how much empty space above the subject) and lighting (no brainer to explain). Also, ask the people who have been doing a decent job at video what they try to do, or your boss. If they take the time to complain about it, seems like they'd take the time to say what they want.

7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'm guessing there is probably a college nearby with classes on video technology and web publishing. I think most schools offer this stuff nowadays.

8. floria

floria New Member

First, thanks to all who responded. To answer SixToe's question, I didn't get one of their cameras. I had to use my own (which I got for $90 at Target) and I had used it a few times (nothing professional).
    I don't know if I want to stay in the business any longer (and its not just the Internet thing, its probably the same complaints that other people have issued on here). It's one of those that I love to write, actually like covering high school sports but hate all the "business" part of it (well, even with the Internet push, that and living paycheck-to-paycheck isn't fun). But after your responses, I'm more confident that I can learn this and maybe this bring passion back to my job (or at least open more doors to get out of the current company).
    Again, gracias.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

somehow i thought the thread would end with just your and my wisdom, spaceman.

i think these other bastards are drafting off our heat. ;)

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

yet another pearl, you are on a role today, not like these other loosers.

11. boots

boots New Member

Floria, the business is becoming so internet driven that its sickening to a certain extent. You've got newspaper people thinking they are internet wizards and the truth is, it's not working. The stuff on the net, especially local stories, just scratches the surface of stories.
    Don't give up. If you like what you're doing, go to someone at your place and basically demand that they show you what to do. If no one wants to show you how to improve, then it's time to find a place that will. But you'd better hurry. Many of those places aren't hiring for various reasons.

12. sysimms

sysimms New Member

Just curious - what kind of money is Yahoo (and other websites) paying for newspaper guys...

Draft saved Draft deleted