1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers like this make people want to quit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist4life, Aug 8, 2006.

1. So here is what has happened in the past two months at my current gig. I'm at a weekly so I guess this comes with the territory but no the less still annoying. I have been here for over a year now too....

The company was thinking about opening up a sports position covering preps with a focus on the big time high school football schools. I expressed interest in this position (more pay, better rep, ect) and they said I would be a good fit and would talk to the publisher. This same response goes on for three weeks and just last week they said the position will be pushed aside.

Ok fine.

I propose than to increase my workload to cover a few of the more local preps because I thought showing that I could do this would lead them to possibly opening the position again. My editor says he likes the idea and will talk to the publisher. I said I would do this with a slight pay raise, nothing huge, but not even close to what they would have paid a full timer. Today my editor tells me the publisher loves the idea but wants me to do the work for two months and he will see about giving me a bump in pay than and possibly opening up the position. What a load of crap.

Shortly following this comment my editor always informs me he is unsure when my raise would kick in that he promised would go into effect two weeks ago.

I am so stunned by all this even though I should not be. This is no way to treat people who bust there ass for you. Thats my rant, sorry guys.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

j4l:

Happens everywhere.

And it's "then" and "their."

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

bend over, son! just the nature of the biz.

4. jaredk

jaredk Member

They're giving you a chance to be in the paper more often with a chance to get a raise and a chance to create a full-time job. You call that "a load of crap." Here's some advice. Learn grammar. Learn spelling. Learn punctuation. Learn to say, "Thank you, Mr. Editor, I'll make the very most of this opportunity." Stop ranting. Get off your sorry ass and start working.

5. No, they are not giving me that chance. My paper has the rep of promosing these things and never delivering.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is pretty ridiculous, though at smaller papers and weeklies that happens a lot. I would just start looking for a new job at a daily.

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

Enough with the whining. Learn to spell, or to type, or preferably both. Then work hard enough and be good enough to make the bosses deliver on their promises. If they still don't deliver, so what? You've done good work that will make you feel good about yourself and will impress people who can deliver.

8. jaredk can't win with you. I am wrong and this situation is 100 percent normal and people in this profession always stick by what they say. Why the constant knocks on typing too? It's early and we are all just trying to help each other.

9. jaredk

jaredk Member

You don't recognize help when it's at your fingertips. Good luck in finding a career that rewards you before you do the work.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. 1 -- Lots of times editors may have idea to expand coverage or add a person and it gets kicked around. Doesn't mean the publisher or whoever handles the purse strings will ultimately sign off on it. Everyone may be on board and advertising has one bad month and it goes down the toilet.

No. 2 -- If you offer to do more work, doesn't mean the bosses will immediately shower you with money.

11. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

The management is to be commended. Get the suckers to do more work, and tell them maybe they'll get a raise someday.

Works every time. ;)

12. Mudbone

Mudbone New Member

If you and management agree on something you'd better get it in writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted