1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers are a business, not a library

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Kids from the '80s will be "gone"
    in 10-20 years? Damn. That sucks.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Won’t be a print product. Print is dying right in front of us and the best delivery system available is a smartphone app.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Average life expectancy is 72 for males. So in 22 years a 12 year-old boy from 1980 will be 72. Time is running out on the '80s kids.

4. Doc Holliday

I'm saying no printed newspaper. I'm sure the NY Times will be fine.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Lovely.

I was 12 in 1980. Just finished filling out the paperwork for my colonoscopy.

Fun night.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

IMHO, many print editions won't survive the next recession. R.O.P. ads still haven't rebounded from 2007-08; that's why so many shops are cranking out lame special sections and "targeted market" magazines, because it's the only way they can sell print ads.

The rest of the economy has been booming for years, while print media's downward spiral continues.

Remember, these loyal readers in their 60s and up never have been the main source of revenue. And corporate newspaper companies certainly treat them that way.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

NYT will probably forgo the print product in a decade or two. Once that happens, everyone will follow suit.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No shit. I'm a kid from the 80s. I turn 42 next week. Guess I better get busy livin'.

Tweener likes this.
  9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Or get busy dyin'.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, I certainly feel a little bit deader.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  11. Doc Holliday

Yeah, I was 12 in 1980 too. Had a colonoscopy at 45 and two years ago at age 50. Fun times.

12. Doc Holliday

You make a very good and fair point.

I would like to add, though, that while advertising is the main source of revenue for newspapers, it is the subscribers the advertisers are attempting to reach and it is the '80s kids that still read newspapers. The following couple of generations have completely abandoned newspapers.

Simple math says when the '80s kids are dead and gone, there will be no more newspaper readers/subscribers. Thus, the newspapers themselves will die too.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted