1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper Terms

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jimmydangles, May 9, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I had an editor once who called stand-alone photos "wild art"

2. Yep, that's not exactly obscure.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Sted
    Hed
    I use "breef" too -- just to piss people off
    colsig

4. i think the whole idea of spelling words as they sound was an effort to save characters and thus money because messages were sent via telegraph and that's how they were charged.

for me, it gives me an ability to communicate with my kids in text message.

find it funny that people harken back to the days of wax and xacto knives. no one here old enough to remember hot type? seems the last of those guys are just about at retirement age.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

We're done?

Isn't there more to talk about?

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

And then, on to, the Trash-80.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Heck, I remember it, and I still have a ways to go before retirement age.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Gutter. White space. Negatives (both in a newspaper AND a photographic sense). Gamer.

It's amazing how few people understand ANY of those terms anymore.

And yes, at my first post-Navy paper in 1998, we were still doing inside pages by hand, with pica poles, waxers and veelox. Didn't use the whiz wheel, nor headline point counts very much.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I was right at the point where they gave us exhaustive instruction on counting heads in college ... and when I got to the pros, there was no need for it.

10. fremont

fremont Member

I don't know, but "the morgue" can pretty much refer to any part of a newspaper office nowadays, not just where the old papers are.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

BC-Bus Plunge, 1st - Ld Writethru, 234
    Eds: ADDS dropped word "grotesque" in lede; ADDS victims names in new 6th graf; CORRECTS spelling of state trooper's name throughout; pick up 7th graf, "Impaled on a fence post ..."

12. fremont

fremont Member

Sounds like great reading to accompany breakfast and coffee in the morning. Reminiscent of seeing the story on the wire a few years ago of the guy in Montana who supposedly butchered a little boy and fed him to his neighbors.

Eds: Note contents in 4th graf.

Draft saved Draft deleted