1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper Next

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Jun 1, 2007.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Has anybody heard about it and what do you think of it?

2. No, so I guess I can't answer the second part

3. taz

taz Member

Here's a link to the Newspaper Next project, including a .pdf of the findings:

http://www.newspapernext.org/

The bottom line: Newspapers need to come up with new products (through the web), and reach out to those in their markets who aren't using them in new and innovative ways, rather than just focusing on the ones who do.

They make a compelling argument. The idea is that newspapers - as the recognized and trusted sources in their communities - should be at the forefront of attracting new audience through innovation - and not being afraid of trying new things.

Newspapers may be losing readers, but they can still keep those customers through other means.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Didn't want to pay $100 to read the report.

5. Not really sure what to make of that.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

good points here. newspapers should still strive to be the trusted sources in their communities, and too many of them have forgotten what that's all about.

integrity and public trust, honesty and a watchdog mission, used to mean so much to this country, and this industry.

sadly, the people who run this show have conveniently forgotten what it's all about.

7. It's all about the greenbacks, not the public's trust!!! It's all about how much revenue the advertising department is raking in!!!

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We are in the very early stages of doing Newspaper Next, so I can't really say much about how it's going.

We just did some "Jobs to Be Done" interviews. Everybody I talked to said they like our product (the newspaper and Web site) and that we do a great job. Not much help there.

I like the concept, and I think it's given us some direction on where to go in the next few years.

9. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

We had a meeting with the editor of the newspaper about the Newspaper Next concept. Seemed to me that there are a lot of generalities, but no real specific strategies on how to accomplish reaching readers, old and new. My editor has REALLY embraced the cowbell philisophy, if that means anything to any of you. I am not completely sold on the idea, but wanted to see if any other newspapers had heard of this and tried any of the strategies.

Draft saved Draft deleted