1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper fires editorial writer for telling Obama to shove it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Stuff like this is why I stay far, far away from the editorial page. You can make whatever point you will, support it with as much data and logic as you will. And people are still going to disagree... often vehemently. That's life.

One of the things I learned in debate class was how to build an argument for something, then turn around the next day and tear down that very argument and build a counter-argument against the same point. Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one and that's fine.

I seriously question the value of newspaper editorial pages. I can't ever remember a time when I thought "Gee, I'm not sure what to think or who to vote for, so let me read the newspaper and see which way the wind is blowing." I often wonder if editorial pages are more self-serving than anything else. Makes the editor and publisher feel extra important somehow, as if their opinion carries more weight than the homeless dude on the corner.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The way things are going, the editor might soon be the homeless man on the corner.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That will make for a column worth reading.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/insubordinate

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He and Shea Allen should hook up.

I bet Drew goes braless while writing editorials too.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one."

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Having heard the full story, the paper had no choice but to fire him.

Forget the political aspect, this was insubordination.

If I'd been the boss, I would have said, "Man, that was great. You're fired."

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This reminds of that awesome movie The Paper, with Michael Keaton and Glenn Close.

9. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Well, yes.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"You are So. Fucking. Fired!"

Draft saved Draft deleted