1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper coverage of allegations against John Edwards by National Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I just love the phrase "bloggy spawn."

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Henry:
    "Conservative neocons" at HuffingtonPost????? Are you freakin' kidding me? Up until five eyars ago, Huffington was a conservative, but she went off the deep end in the other direction sometime ago.

Better start paying attention to what's going on.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I believe everyone but you knows that kidding was exactly what Henry was doing.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Didn't read like kidding to me. Some of the politically-oriented babble on this web site is so one-sided that it's hard to tell sarcasm from true intent.

Excuse me for not being able to read minds.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

I guess you haven't read many of Henry's posts. He is not a liberal. He was being sarcastic.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Thanks for covering me on that one. I overslept.

My wife, a dependable blue dot, knew nothing of the Edwards story as of 1 p.m. Sunday. The embargo is working pretty well.

7. You don't think one of the country's most prominent national politicians, someone who was until recently a top VP contender, a man who was happy to exploit his sick wife for political gain, who concocted an elaborate cover-up involving a married friend to deflect attention from the love-child story, who may be financially supporting his mistress to the tune of millions...(sorry about the run-on)...you don't believe this is worth of the mainstream media even sniffing around a bit????

I'm sorry, but I find that mind-boggling.

(And, FWIW, the National Enquirer does not do and has never done alien babies or bat-boys.)

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Uh, no, I don't. It's a personal matter. It's a no-brainer that any news organization is going to get beat on some stories, and this is one I wouldn't mind being beaten on. (Bad reporter! Bad! Wink, wink.) Unless it's dragged into the legal arena somehow or he makes a really public spectacle of himself, I really could not care less which consenting adult any politician is boinking and I do not consider it news. We have to draw the line somewhere and sniffing around in people's private lives is where I, personally, draw it.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Maybe if he becomes the VP nominee and runs on a platform of family values, then there might be a story. Neither are likely, so who cares?

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I, for one, would want to know about these kind of activities in connection with any serious contender for national office.

I don't believe I'm alone.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

That's fine, and someone will satisfy your need. But I'm not interested in being the one to peep in windows and dig through trash cans for used condoms in order to please you. It's an individual choice that news organizations have to make -- at which point do we say, "Enough."

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Is he really a serious contender? For our country's sake, I hope not.

Draft saved Draft deleted