1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper accused of being "good ole boys club"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot...

The intelligence of a person is directly related to the state that they live in. And, I'm sure, newsrooms north of the Mason-Dixon line are far more forward-thinking.

Something like this could not have possibly have happened in New York, L.A., or whichever state you live in. Which no doubt is full of sophisticated people who spend their free time lost in thought and writing godawful poetry.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wowee wow wow wow. That was something.

ADG is a great newspaper and even better since it's out from under Gannett's spell, so I wonder how the newsroom handled that 8.0 earthquake.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Just got an e-mail from the ACES listserv about a copy editor position opening there:

"Our office is a relaxed, fun environment."

Seems like it.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You're much, much too kind.
    I was trying not to be too pissy, but let's just say Mitchell was a real downgrade from Risser as she failed up the Gannett food chain. I believe that that she got exposed in 'Bama and fled to the family-owned Democrat in hopes of a career reinvention.
    Her time in Arkansas was marked with tanker trucks full of fail and I think she might have also known that her replacement had been hired and she was about to catch a demotion/reassignment.
    Yep, that's the real reason why she was so angry, she was about to lose her editorship.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Hey!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Lousy editor or not, sounds like she hit a bullseye in her exit letter. I bet the newsroom gets some diversity training pronto.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Bring some Wetbacks in for a lil talkin'?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm always on the frontier of progressive thought when it comes to improving the newsroom environment.

10. scribbler

scribbler Member

Not excusing their actions -- if Mitchell's accusations are correct, their actions are reprehensible. But they're not Gannett. I don't know where Mitchell came from, but I believe I've inferred from JayFarrar's posts that she came from Gannett papers to the Democrat-Gazette.

It is locally owned, has been for a long, long time (forever? I don't know). It was the Arkansas Democrat, and when the Arkansas Gazette was folded in 1991 (by Gannett, which had owned it for a half-dozen or so years), the Democrat bought the assets and added "-Gazette" to its name.

Carry on.

11. Marilyn Mitchell is absolutely notorious in Gannett circles. I mean, even by Gannett standards.

I would take everything she says in that e-mail with a huge grain of salt.

That said, the response e-mail was almost as bizarre as the original one.

EDIT: To clarify, I know that the ArDemGaz is not a Gannett newspaper. I figured Marilyn's competence was such that she would be a Gannett lifer. Wonder what happened to cause her to leave the Family?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The DOG's sports department is full of lifers, so that tells you people are not beating down the door to get outta the place. For what it's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted