1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsday to charge for Web access

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If and when Internet-enabled television sets come around (any day now, they've been saying since 1995), Cablevision will be in position to offer viewers in NYC a service other paper's Web sites can't.

2. They don't have any competition, true, but they have ticked off the local population immensely. The paper's coverage of local hard news issues has fallen dramatically. The older, paper-friendly crowd complains that it only takes 15 minutes to read through Newsday. The paper appears to cater to the 25-39 crowd with its features, but that's not what makes people buy.

Honest to goodness, the stories about corrupt school board executives, retirement pensions, etc. are what drive people to that paper.

And, if you happened to notice, the LIRR disability phenomenon was brought to light by .... the New York Times.

Newsday needs to rededicate itself to hard, local news.

Otherwise, no one will pay for a thing on the Website. And all that traffic it has gotten is going to disappear -- fast.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As someone else pointed out: Wrong paper, wrong market, wrong time.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

With Dolan's grubby paws on every single piece of business on the Island, that'll happen around the sixth of Never.

Someday, the obit will be penned for Newsday, but as far as I'm concerned, it died the day those pieces of shit took it over.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fark's take:

Newsday to charge for web content, anticipating a huge response from people willing to pay for news about Long Island zoning board meetings

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Allow me to translate: "Oh shit."

7. Mediator

Mediator Member

What about blogs? Lets say Glauber breaks something on his blog about free agency -- if no one sees it Newsday doesn't get credit for the scoop. They make themselves irrelevant in breaking news. And if you were to make that stuff visible, then don't you eliminate the value of subscribing?

The papers all need to jump at once or it doesn't work.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Exactly.
    Hell, if I'm the News or the Post, I'd maybe stick a half-dozen reporters out on the Island and promote the hell out of my new FREE online content out there. And if I'm some civic-minded blogger in Oyster Bay or Islip, I'm licking my chops. Newsday will get eaten on both ends.
    It's the right idea, I think, but Newsday can't do it alone in a market that's so competitive on the big stuff (pro sports, business, regional news) and so fractured on the small (countless small towns). They'll get clobbered.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It does occur to me that with the economy the way it is, I don't know many people who are looking at their budget and thinking, "Hmm, what can I start paying for that I haven't been paying for?"

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yeah, that's why whenever I'm in the airport and there's a discarded paper laying there, it's the sports section that's gone.
    People aren't reading it, they're just carrying it around.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From the article:

What was this story?

As controlling -- and crazy -- as Dolan is, it can't be easy to cover the Knicks for Newsday.

12. JackS

JackS Member

The mistake was ever giving free access in the first place. I doubt you can put the toothpaste back in the tube now (especially if it's not an industry-wide move).

As for copying and pasting, there's gotta be a way to disable it. Google books has. I can't copy, print or save anything from there. The only thing I haven't tried is a screen grab, but they've probably figured out a way to disable that too. Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted