1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsday sold for $650 million

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, May 12, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

TV buying a newspaper... interesting.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/05/cablevisions_says_it_has_deal.html

Cablevision says it has deal to buy Newsday for $650M
    by The Associated Press
    Monday May 12, 2008, 8:41 AM

Cablevision Systems said today it agreed to acquire Long Island newspaper Newsday from Tribune for $650 million.

Cablevision beat out media mogul Rupert Murdoch, CEO of News Corp., who withdrew his $580 million bid on Saturday. New York Daily News owner Mortimer Zuckerman had also bid $580 million.

The deal announced today brings Newsday back to local ownership on Long Island. Tribune had been seeking to sell Newsday lighten an $8.2 billion debt load it took on last year when it went private.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The most interesting part of this came when Rupert withdrew over the weekend.
    The bad news is now the Dolans are in the newspaper business. Jimmy will probably try to make Isiah an editior.

3. VJ

VJ Member

I'd hate to be a secretary in that office.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Dolans turn everything they have bought to shit- see MSG, The Wiz ( now out of biz)

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wonder if Newsday will have to do a review of Dolan's band.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nah. Isiah will rewrite Newsday's sexual harassment policy.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't wait to see next season's Ranger/Knick coverage.

Slurp.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I understand why some people don't like this deal, but it's the best scenario of the three as far as fewest jobs lost.

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I don't know if that's necessarily true. Murdoch and Zuckerman don't lay off journalists.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You mean Rangers and Knicks? Sorry, pet peeve.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I didn't say journalists. But there would have been redundancy in some business areas, and there was talk about one printing site for both papers, which would have eliminated pressmen and mailers.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

This showed up as "Newsday sold for $65" on the main forum page. I was about to say, jeez, I could have scraped together some money to buy it.

Draft saved Draft deleted