1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsday eliminates Powell, Howard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 5, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Wow. Just...wow.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Shaun write the piece on the selection of music that Sean Taylor's family and the 'Skins for his tribute recently?

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

WFW, Jeff and JD.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fucking disgusting.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because it can't be posted enough (spoiler alert: you'll need a tissue):

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-pow142365555sep14,0,2284636.column

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The newspaper industry still thinks it has a chance.

So did this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mediator

Mediator Member

It's only a flesh wound.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

SF Express: Any further elaboration?

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw them pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

My first job in the business was as an intern at Newsday several years back, around when Tribune first bought them. Powell and Howard both took the time to be kind to an intern who didn't know his ass from his elbow, let alone his way around a locker room. They and a lot of other total pros made that sports department a mighty thing, something to be a part of.
    This is a particularly sad day in a long line of them lately.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I really liked Powell. I thought he was pretty consistent and did some reporting for his column, which struck me as rare.
    He did a piece a few years back about tracking down the guys who got in a brawl at MSG. It was fantastic.
    When I was working slot, we had space for a national columnist and I'd always try to work him in on the page.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I feel for these folks, and all who are getting shown the door while having their professional love for this line of work crushed.

But I do see MMatt's point. In these insane times, if the decision has been made to cut costs, you can shed three columnists' salaries or you can get rid of six, eight or 10 other people. If the decision-makers are blind to quality anyway, and have no moral, emotional or intellectual attachment to the paper's current stars, they see this as sheer economics.

You would hope that anyone being shed due to a premium salary would be given the option of negotiating a pay cut. Or even, if this paper actually wants to do away with columns, arranging new duties at a reduced rate. But that sort of stuff requires hands-on, actual people skills, a little empathy and give-and-take. I don't think the beancounters can be bothered to do that.

While killing the product, these jokers also are killing any journalist's incentive to keep working hard. There will be no getting ahead in this business, to boost your family's lifestyle. There will only be hanging on, for however long one can.

Best of luck to the departing. Step back from this cesspool and figure out if you really want to ever step back in.

Draft saved Draft deleted