1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News writer, Waxahachie, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Twirling Time, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Do you have a passion for community journalism? Do you believe that as the difficulty to find reliable information grows, every community needs and deserves a trustworthy source for information that will hold elected officials accountable and answer the questions they never thought to ask? Are you passionate about telling interesting, important and in-depth stories?

Waxahachie Media Group, publisher of the Daily Light and Midlothian Mirror, seeks a community news writer to add to their award winning team.

The circulation area includes all of Ellis County with a focus on Midlothian and Waxahachie.

The position requires local community coverage, previews and features in both the paper and online coverage, as well as assisting on coverage in other areas. Photography skills are a plus since they will be needed at times. Social media contributions via Facebook and Twitter are also a part of the job.

Daily newspaper experience is not required. Recent college graduates will receive strong consideration.

A smartphone and a reliable personal vehicle are required. We reimburse for mileage.

Experience with social media and multimedia storytelling is a plus. A willingness to learn, grow and improve is a must.

Duties

• Stay on top of local news happenings specifically the two core areas of Midlothian and Waxahachie
    • Produce local features, and in-depth trend stories
    • Write breaking news at top speed to ensure we are the first to break news
    • Shoot and edit short video
    • Provide assistance in other areas of the newsroom as necessary including regular and breaking news
    Qualifications

• Bachelor’s degree in journalism preferred but not required
    • Must be outgoing and enjoy working with the public in a variety of situations and settings.
    • Must be familiar with and active on Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites
    • Must have interview and writing skills
    • Must be versatile and able to effectively shift between stories and duties.
    • Must be proficient in AP style and grammar
    • Must be self-motivated
    • Experience with page design is preferred, but not required
    • Evening and some holiday work could be required
    Job Type: Part-time

Salary: $10.00 to $12.00 /hour

Please submit resumes to Colten Crist, Advertising & Operations Director of Waxahachie Media Group, at ccrist@waxahachietx.com .

2. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

I don't have a ton of insight on this one anymore, considering it's been a decade since I left 'Hachie (pre-Gatehouse era), but this is where I got my start in the biz. It's different now, but I learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

McDonald's pays its employees an average of $9.45 per hour.

This paper hopes to attract a college graduate and pay $10 per hour.

What a fucking joke this business is.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted