1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/Sports Writer somewhere in the Southeast

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RonClements, May 19, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Look, I agree with you. But this:

was enough for them to claim what they did. Your intent and tone were clear.

I mean, you wouldn't want to go into an organization like this anyway. But don't think they're SO dumb as to think you weren't questioning their tactics.

2. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

3. jr/shotglass

I found that reply in there, you lil' devil you. ;)

4. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I have an issue with quoting a post through my mobile device. That and the constant autocorrect are maddening.

5. jr/shotglass

Oh, I'm feeling ya. Same with my Galaxy.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hiring someone's replacement before said someone has separated from the company doesn't sound strictly legal. The pompous responses in email correspondence smack of extreme assholishness. If you're desperate enough to seriously apply for this job, I feel for you, because it doesn't take a genius to figure out the place is a sweat shop. Do you seriously want to work for a place that doesn't have the integrity to put its name on a help wanted ad?

Beyond that, any place that puts the word "community" anywhere in its job posting should be viewed as entry level at best.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

When I was in college, I learned I was being fired from a paid position by seeing an ad for my job in the student newspaper.

I guess they felt only the student newspaper workers were the only ones who actually read it.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

at my first job in TV, I was covering a Packers mini-camp when someone from another station introduced himself to me as the guy who was taking the weekend sports anchor job at my station in a few weeks. This came as quite a shock to the incumbent who hadn't been told by anyone he was out.

9. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

This type of thing happens all the time in other professions, so you won't find any outrage from me.

My first restaurant general manger position came as I followed my district manager to the location, waited in the car for him to fire the current GM and then came inside to take over. The district manager is someone I still have incredible respect for 20 years later. The situation just dictated those circumstances.

10. jr/shotglass

Well, I guess you would hold a soft spot for him. You were part of the bloody coup. ;)

11. slc10

slc10 Member

It seems to me that the guy who ran this paper could at least say the paper was in bedrock and to please keep any communication confidential. You hate what a paper will do but you are looking for a job. It is amazing what the suits will do regardless of industry.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Oh, I've been an employee more than once where the boss was fired and someone new was already there - someone who had not previously been with the company.

Doesn't make it any less shitty to the person being ousted, particularly if it's not for anything illegal or without warning.

Draft saved Draft deleted