1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/sports reporter, Cheraw, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsguydave, Dec 15, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

From the South Carolina Press Association site:

The Cheraw Chronicle, a community-oriented weekly newspaper in Chesterfield County, S.C. is currently seeking a full-time reporter for general assignments and sports coverage. The position includes health, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, vacation and a 401K plan. The Chronicle is part of Heartland Publications and offers employees room to grow. Send resumes and clips to pwilliams@yourdailyjournal.com. No phone calls please.

=============================================================================================

I'm the SE at the Richmond County Daily Journal up the road in Rockingham, NC, and this paper is in our group (we do the layout for it out of our office). I don't know much about the area (I've just recently moved here) but I do know a bit about the schools, as we recently helped put together the Chronicle's winter sports preview. There would be four high schools to cover, all mainly small. Two of the high schools advanced pretty far in the football playoffs, and one to the SC state finals.

We're trying to help cover these schools in addition to what we already cover here, so we're scrambling a bit. They would like to fill this position as soon as possible.

Feel free to PM me with questions and I'll try to answer what I can ...

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Great, great area with a lot of history -- both sports and American -- and good people. Don't know anything about the newspaper, but always enjoyed my time whenever visiting Cheraw or Chesterfield.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Birthplace of Dizzy Gillespie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheraw,_South_Carolina

4. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

Thank you gentlemen. I probably would not have sent a resume if you had not said what a nice area it is. Then again, just about everybody is getting a resume these days, even that position at "Your Future Home."

5. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

If I remember correctly, the coach for Chesterfield High School is former University of South Carolina quarterback Steve Taneyhill. Cheraw also has a pretty good Amertican Legion baseball team, too.

6. Celtics22

Celtics22 New Member

It is ran by Heartland, or Heartless as it is known to many who work there.
    A big-shot at the company "borrowed" $1M moments after the company formed. He was found guilty and had to repay $3M, as per Fla. law..Recently filed for Chapter 11...The lowest of the low in a creapy ocean floor.
    That company refines CHEAP. If you go there, good luck. You have been warned.

Draft saved Draft deleted