1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News & Record (Greensboro) cuts 9 jobs - 6 in newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tarheel316, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

FWIW a guy I know at the Journal said they'd be filling the writing job (Bowman's), but the editing job might be moving to Greensboro which sounds weird given the events of this week.

2. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Also sorry for the double post but 16 hour days seven days a week? Sweet jesus some lawyer would salivate at that.

3. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

If it's a salaried position, there's no legal issue.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Tough to hear...my first byline appeared in the News & Record

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yeah, I know the part-timer you're talking about ... the guy's been promised a full-time job there for years, and he keeps getting screwed over (I understand that was one of the last things Phil tried to make happen before he left) ... to top it off, he's pretty much been working full-time hours ever since the new SE came on, because he and the (now former) ASE (who, yes, also got screwed over by the new editor) have had to run the show ...

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who is the SE there?

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Her name is Jewell Walston ... the ASE who's leaving is Bryant Galbaugh (he's given notice, will be leaving in less than two weeks) ...

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The ASE getting passed over triggered has sent morale plummeting. A real gut punch.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Hearing there were more layoffs in Greensboro this morning.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  10. franticscribe

Thirty six jobs were cut. Hard to believe they could find 36 jobs to cut. Nine were in the newsroom.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I believe Buffett owns both Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Are these papers about to consolidate?

12. franticscribe

Seems inevitable, but they're still giving lip service to the importance of separate papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted