1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News on the Santa Barbara News-Press?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist4life, Jul 15, 2006.

1. They seem to have several job openings but the front page article on their web site seems to indicate a problem at the paper. Does anyone from this area have insight on this or the paper itself.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

3. Sorry, thanks.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Check out the Santa Barbara Independent (www.independent.com) or the L.A. Times for stories on the matter. You won't get much of anything from the News-Press itself.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That was snide. Some people don't live here and know exactly what has or hasn't been posted in the last week, ya know.

6. So if they happen offer people here a job here, would you turn it down? In my instance it would be from a weekly to a daily, something every single daily newspaper says I need.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In a heartbeat.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Snide comment or not, being unaware about a major pissing match in the business over a week ago would make me wonder about someone.

9. marmar

marmar New Member

i don't work there, but you could say i'm close to the situation.

i would not sign on with them right now. wait a few days/weeks, more people are going to be leaving i can pretty much guarantee it.

it's a good paper being ruined by a bad, wealthy owner and her followers

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Experience at a daily is nice, but what happens when the publisher gets a wild hair up her ass about some benign thing you did six weeks ago and decides to can you?

A job at a weekly is better than unemployment, and the chances of suddenly being an ex-employee of the News-Press appear to be far too high at the moment.

11. Today I was told I am on a short list of finalist for one of the reporting jobs.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Best of luck to you, and it's a great place to live -- but you sure you want to get into that mess?

Draft saved Draft deleted