1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News Helicopters Collide While Filming Police Chase

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

And that was the police chief making that ridiculous suggestion. What a clown.

2. That's awful.

As horrible as this sounds, did anyone get it on video?

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

I don't know if you were going for irony, but Jesus.

God forbid Wildest Video (or whatever its called) doesn't get its hands on it

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Video and sound from the ABC chopper is chilling. You can hear him anticipate the crash, the collision and the grinding of the propellers into metal. Sad.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

The ABC affiliate was live at the time; the anchor does a good job of keeping it together. Of course, no one in the studio knew exactly what had happened:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/94019

Click on: "VIDEO: Footage from ABC15 helicopter involved in crash"

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The state of American broadcast journalism in microcosm. Four dead covering a stolen car.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/video/106

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Don't know if it has a chance of sticking or not... but read where one of the cops said the driver will be charged with the four deaths... They happened because of his fleeing from police.

9. I couldn't agree more. It's stupid to put multiple news choppers in the air chasing some effing idiot in a runaway car. High shock value, no news value. And it only promotes more stupidty, such as the copters that tailed Paris Hilton ande Michael Jackson on their way to and from the court room. There is nothing compelling about seeing three black SUVs make their way to a courthouse.

10. Not only that, but having a squadron of newscopters encorages cops to act like cowboys in populated areas.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Twenty years later, the words of Don Henley still ring true... too bad.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I disagree with that, I think they back off in intensity a little given that every move is being documented.

Draft saved Draft deleted