1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News from Riverside, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 5, 2008.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Corona has a population approaching 100K and now has no beat writer working for the "big-city" paper next door. Why someone doesn't go there and open a community website is beyond me; there's bound to be available advertising!

Journalism is screwed if the monopoly paper can't make money in a region like the Inland Empire.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow, know a few people on that list. Know that area like the back of my hand. This is sad. Shocking to see Patricia out, but don't know all of the details. But after PaulO was fired 10 miles to the north earlier this year, nothing shocks me anymore.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I don't think Belo said the P-E's not making money; they just arrived at an arbitrary number of jobs to be cut at each property, adding up to the arbitrary number of 500. It's just typical corporate BS.

I would think that they'll assign another reporter to Corona.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Angels beat writer leaving as the playoffs are set to start? Bummer.
    As a fine band once said, "Pain lies on the riverside."
    At this rate, we'll all be joining' 'em for a swim soon.

5. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I bet Patricia Mays lands at ESPN. Hopefully, she actually did volunteer to leave Belo (although I agree in many cases these are 'forceouts').

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If by "it" you mean cow manure stink, then yes, yes you are correct.

[/threadjack]

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

My money is on one of the AP regional sports editors gigs. Good luck wherever she goes, though.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

That's also a very good guess, Grifter.

I know the Southeast gig was filled. Have other AP regional jobs been filled?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

all this talk without including hemet/san jacinto is full of fail.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I am told this was totally Patricia's choice - no word yet on a landing spot.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow!

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If the wow is the landing spot thing - I mean I have no word on it. Not saying Patricia has no idea where she's going. Still working on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted