1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News and sports reporters - Las Vegas!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by swayne, Sep 19, 2006.

1. swayne

swayne New Member

From JJobs.com

Company: The News
    Position: News and sports reporters
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: October 24, 2006
    Job ID: 683054

Description:
    The News, a group of weekly newspapers serving suburban Las Vegas, is looking for news and sports reporters.
    We compete head to head with the dailies and have a track record of breaking news that the other papers and TV stations have to chase. We are seeking community-minded journalists who want to work in a fast-paced, exciting media environment. Some experience is preferred, but we will consider qualified entry-level candidates.

As part of Greenspun Media Group, we offer a competitive pay and benefits package.

Please send resumes and clips to: Greenspun Media Group, Attn: Human Resources, 2290 Corporate Circle, Suite 250, Henderson, NV 89074. To apply via e-mail: jobs@gmgvegas.com Fax: 702-990-8943

-------------------

So Greenspun is obviously the LV Sun and a bunch of other great Vegas entertainment mags, but does anyone know about these weeklies?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wasn't this job open this last spring? I feel like I vaguely looked into it before moving elsewhere.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I think those are a few suburban papers run by the old Las Vegas Sun. A friend of a friend is an editor there. I saw him about a year ago, and we kind of talked about a job, but we realized rather quickly with the positions he had, he couldn't pay me over what I was making in the South. This guy likes it out there, but he's a bachelor who likes to gamble.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

the breaking news story they had before the dailies was more than likely: Greenspun Media Group lays off 500 employees

happy chasing.

5. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

If you interview there, be sure to wear a neackbrace. The turnover will make your head do a Linda Blair.

The editor you meet with will either quit or get fired before your interview is over.

6. zman82

zman82 Member

from previous experience, these guys are majorly disorganized. haven't worked there but that's the vibe i got from the powers that be.

7. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

A few musings... sports desk here is a good place to work. Preps, preps, preps, with a community beat that's got some gold mines for stories.

I don't think anyone's quit from the sports desk in the last year. Job's posted quite a bit due to expansion – a year ago, group had three 30k weeklies (and a 6kish in nearby Boulder City)... that number's up to seven 30k's, likely more on the way. Sports desk has five reporters.

Draft saved Draft deleted