1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News and sports reporter (Fitchburg, Mass.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Another infamous opening. Fitchburg, Roswell, Sandusky. Any openings in Wausau?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=860672

Company: The Sentinel & Enterprise
    Position: Seeking News and Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    August 4, 2009
    Job ID: 860672

Description:
    The Sentinel & Enterprise, an award-winning daily newspaper in North Central Massachusetts, has an immediate opening for a reporter to cover news and sports. The paper is located just an hour from Boston and an hour from the Seacoast. We're looking for a reporter who's not only capable of covering meetings and games, but also digging for scoops and turning out features. Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter, references, work samples and salary requirements to Jeff McMenemy, Editor, The Sentinel & Enterprise, 808 Main St., Fitchburg, MA 01420.

2. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Who is/was the SE in Wausau? I heard legendary stories about him from his Salt Lake days. Just can't remember his name. There was a thread on here a while ago dedicated to the piece of work ...

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

What's the deal with The Sentinel anyway? I can't help but notice that they always have the same ad for a general assignment reporter up every couple of months. Is it a horrible place to work, low salary, just a constantly changing staff, etc.?

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Stay away from this job. Seriously.

5. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

Let's hear the horror stories!

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Much like BottomlessPit, I'm kind of interested to hear some of the horror stories. I've been told to stay away by at least three people, but none of them have really elaborated.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There is a tale involving a 5-year-old being told, literally, to STFU by her father in the newsroom. It remains unverified.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Avoid this editor like the plague! Ooooops I meant job . . . Or did I?

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Why is a 5-year-old in the newsroom in the first place?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There was a thread on here a couple years ago about how McMenemy posts jobs just to "motivate" his staff. Yes, I am too lazy to look it up.

I also heard he did a bang-up job at the Eagle-Trib... may have been pushed instead of jumping, but I don't remember the story.

11. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I don't think we need to question the veracity of any story coming out of that newsroom...especially if it involves McEnemy.

This is the same place that has a sign over the thermostat in its newsroom that reads, "Nobody allowed to touch expect Jeff." And that misspelling is deliberate.

I bet this is another fake job posting used as "motivation", like the paper is so famous for.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Child labor is pretty cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted