1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newport News Daily Press needs a designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DougRoberson, Mar 1, 2007.

1. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

The Daily Press, a 95,000-circulation newspaper located in Newport News, Va., is looking for a creative page designer. We want a self-starter who isn’t afraid to take chances, but knows when the news shouldn’t be overshadowed. We want someone to give our fronts, inside pages and special sections energy. We want someone who has strong ethics and the ability to work well with the team.
    We are an APSE-award winning section that covers the Washington Redskins, University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, College of William and Mary, Hampton University, Christopher Newport University, 50 high schools and community sports.
    The Daily Press uses Quark to paginate, Word to write, and Composer ties the two systems together.
    The Daily Press is a Tribune Co. newspaper. Please send your resume and clips to Doug Roberson, Sports Editor, Daily Press, 7505 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, Va. 23607. My e-mail address is droberson@dailypress.com. No phone calls please.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As I've said before, The Moddy Seal. Gold seal, actually.

3. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

If you're qualified and in search of a new gig, jump on this. Immediately.

4. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Got a question for Doug: Is this listed as a "designer" gig because it involves more than just sports pages? Neither the title here nor on JJobs says "sports" page designer. I know Doug is the contact, but it might just be because he's better than the rest of the editors on staff.
    I know if I ran the newsroom there, I'd have Doug do as much as I could get out of him. I'd also be making a lot more money than I am now.

5. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

It's a sports-page design position.

6. Umm, this gets the hate-d-mah-old-prepjob seal, too, although I really loved my prep gig while I was there.

7. boots

boots New Member

The gig itself gets the coveted boots seal of approval. The parent company, Tribune, doesn't. Newport News is a great area and you'll get to do a lot of great things. I just have reservations about where the Tribune is headed.

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Thank God!

9. InterMat

InterMat New Member

Born and raised in the area, worked there for quite a while. Really enjoyed it, but I just wasn't cut out for a career on the desk, but I give the place high marks. A lot of the staff that was there when I came through really helped me as a writer. Some of the experience a young writer can learn is from those on the desk that are willing to help.

I really cut my teeth at the DP and as a PT'er, was given a lot of opportunity based on my local sports knowledge and love of high school sports. I left on my own accord, but don't have any ill will to the DP.

"Wrestling Guru" seal of approval on this.

The Hampton Roads area is pretty good in regards of things to do for a non-Pro sports town.

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

And now you're becoming a legend in your chosen field.

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

There are several places in Va. I wouldn't touch with a 39 1/2 foot pole. But Doug's good people, and one of my in-laws lived in Williamsburg -- that area down there is great. This one gets a NOONAN seal of approval, and kill the gophers while you're at it.

12. InterMat

InterMat New Member

Oh Bundy,

I can't ever live up to your legendary status ... no one can.

Draft saved Draft deleted