1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newly available: Kate Winslet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As far as raw looks, Winslet has Connolly beat by a mile. As to why one might say the husband chose wrong in Little Children, it could be a matter of acting, that Winslet made herself seem not likable. And the nudity in The Reader was far from erotic.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Both are great looking. What Winslet has going for her is she looks like a real woman. Not some Hollywood star. A real woman who happens to be beautiful.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Its all because of the Tats. He has 'em, she doesn't. Its like smokers. You either smoke or you don't and there is no cross-over. I could see a little butterfly or ankle ink or whatever, but this chick--sheesh.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the movie Little Children, but I've read the novel and liked it very much, and I can tell you that Perotta's intent was always to have the Sarah Pierce character (played by Winslet) be much less traditionally attractive than the Kathy character (played by Connolly.) The point of Todd is that he feels emasculated by his wife, who is a successful filmmaker and nags him to grow up and do things he'd rather not do. He can talk to Sarah without feeling like a disappointment in life, and can feel like a man who isn't nagged at every turn by his spouse. And she, in turn, can't quite wrap her head around the fact that someone as attractive as him would be interested in her.

Their affair is, in part, meant to represent the empty longing of suburban life, and the escapism people sometimes seek from sheer boredom. Affairs, contrary to how they're framed here and in letters to Penthouse, are often about something other than, "Man, I need a more attractive piece of ass than I have right now."

Besides, hasn't anyone ever slept with a beautiful person who was terrible in bed, or grated on your nerves? Bill Bob Thorton is a crazy person, but he put it in an interesting way when talking about Angelina Jolie. He said sleeping with the most beautiful woman in the world is still about as fun as fucking a couch if you're not into it.

This goes back to Winslet's appeal, in my opinion. She's not so beautiful that she'd stop traffic. There are prettier women, certainly. But she's clearly smart and interesting and it feels like you could actually have a conversation with her. (Then again, maybe she'd never shut up, which I believe Mendes alluded to when they were filming Rev Road. Sometimes, he just wanted to watch baseball, not talk about movies.) Anne Hathaway is another example of a woman I adore for those reasons. Yes, she's beautiful, but in a unique way, and she seems smart and funny and cool as shit. Someone like Minka Kelly is better looking that Hathaway, but "sexy" is about more than 36Cs and flawless skin.

Maybe I sound like a girl saying that, but for me, it's true.

Besides, what do you talk to Jennifer Love Hewitt about?

"Hey, you're great in that show where you talk to ghosts."

"Thanks."

(Awkward silence.)

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wait a second. Are you saying relationships between a tattooed person and a non-tattooed person are doomed to fail?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Jennifer Connolly's characters in "Little Children" and "He's Just Not That Into You" both were such nagging downers that I can't blame either husband character, no matter how good she looks.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"...Nice tits."

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Not necessarily.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/skin-and-lifestyle/tattoo-removal4.htm

:D

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

agree 100 percent here, dd. except on one point: hathaway can hold her own in any pure beauty contest with minka, connelly, etc. she's got the entire package, imho.

but you're on the money regarding why connelly and winslet were perfect;y cast in "little children." and winslet certainly frumped up -- frumped down? -- for the role as a worn out stay at home suburban mom in a loveless marriage. no eyebrow tweezing for this woman.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Say, do you have Lacey Chabret's number?"

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm still stunned that shockey posted without the use of a single emoticon.

Draft saved Draft deleted