1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newark cuts salaries, bennies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 8, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/08/newark-starledger-slashes_n_199831.html<blockquote>NEWARK, N.J. — New Jersey's largest newspaper says it will reduce employee salaries and no longer cover the entire cost of employee health insurance.

Publisher George Arwady says the moves, announced Thursday, were made necessary by a continuing decline in advertising revenues at The Star-Ledger of Newark.

The salary reductions will be done on a sliding scale, starting July 1. The first $40,000 of an employee's salary will be reduced 5 percent, the next $40,000 by 10 percent.

Employees also will have to pay 25 percent of their health care plan costs.

Earlier this year, the newspaper said it would stop contributing to its employee pension plan and ordered staffers to take 10-day unpaid furloughs this year.</blockquote>Dammit.

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Curious, is that a common situation where an employer pays for the employee's entire health plan? I think I pay about 30% of mine right now.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Have worked at four different newspapers, always paying between 10% and 30% of the company cost for medical insurance (and likely going up). Welcome to the real world, Newarkians.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I pay over $400 per month for medical, vision and dental. The furloughs will hurt, since you get docked in pay and then have to take unpaid leave on top of that.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The furloughs are already there, Stitch. Ten days of them; we're already well into that.

Joe, of course, is right; Newhouse employees have long gotten a sweet deal not having to pay for part of their medical. The pay cut is going to sting, sure, but I expected more than 5 and 10 when it happened.

Just waiting for this to filter back to us now, which I know it will.

6. Um, Newhouse may be cutting back on some health insurance, but there is a gigantic chunk of employees who don't get health insurance AT ALL.

This from a family whose net worth is more than eight BILLION dollars?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

God, how I hate when people do the "um" thing.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Um, Newark might have been the last of this breed. Congrats for lasting this long.

9. jps

jps Active Member

why do you hate high school athletes we interview?
    why do you hate high school and college we interview?
    why do you hate high school and college all athletes we interview?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Um, I don't. Um.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Others will soon follow what Newark does.
    Here's another take from E&P.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003971160

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Geez, Shotty, I never knew, and I have certainly been an "um" guy.

Um, ya know?

Draft saved Draft deleted