1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker piece on Under Armour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's definitely true that not all apparel companies, even the national brands, are created equally.

On the strength of having a player being recruited by a dozen or so Division I basketball programs, one of our local schools got free shoes and gear in exchange for hanging an And1 banner in their gym. Halfway through the first game, many of the shoes began to split along the seams, so they took the banner down, returned the gear, and went back to NIKE.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My 8 year old daughter to me -- "only old people like you wear Nike".

Based on what I've seen when I do drop off or pick up, I'd guess that on any given day, well more than 50% of the boys and probably around 20% of the girls are wearing an Under Armor sweatshirt or t-shirt.

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Kids absolutely do love UA. My son's about to turn 9 and that's all he wants. Hoodies, Ts -- he also wears UA soccer cleats and I'm sure he'd insist on UA hockey gear if they made it (do they?).

I actually like their stuff for my own workout clothes a lot better than Nike. I find their shirts fit me a lot better. At least they do now -- their wicking Ts used to be way too long, with short sleeves that were also too long and wide, which is a huge pet peeve, but they seem to have fixed that.

The one thing no kid wants under any circumstances is Reebok. Amazing how uncool they've become and how quickly it happened.

4. Steak Snabler

Yeah, Reebok has pretty much disappeared from the NBA. Shaq and Iverson were both Reebok guys, but I don't think any current NBA stars are.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Reebok is still big in the hockey world.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

My son has Reebok elbow pads, but NOBODY wants actual Reebok apparel. Maybe a jersey if only because your favorite team wears Reebok jerseys.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think they signed Nerlens Noel.

8. Steak Snabler

I guess you're right. But seeing as how he's yet to play in an NBA game, I'll hold off calling him a "star."

9. Mizzougrad96

Oh, I wasn't challenging your statement that they no longer have any NBA stars, I just remember seeing that Noel had signed with them and thought, WTF? who still signs with Reebok?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Spieth is in the hunt every weekend, so it feels like you're seeing UA all the time on Tour.

Funny thing is, his stuff is very plain-jane. Solid, basic colors, no neon or patterns or anything else that a youngster would go nuts for. He told the company that's what he wanted, they were disappointed but knew that he's still their meal ticket for golf.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

An Auburn basketball player said the Tigers won't be able to compete as long as its an UA school, which I assume is about the Nike and Adidas AAU coaches steering players to schools that rep those brands.

12. Mizzougrad96

Sadly, he may be right... I'm guessing hoops is the only sport where something like that could have that kind of impact.

Draft saved Draft deleted