1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Yorker critic breaks embaro on "Dragon Tattoo," defends it in arrogant email

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Just one clarification: Rudin is the producer involved in the spat. David Fincher is the director.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

These issues have existed for years and will continue to exist for years. Movie companies are very, very protective. They don't care about whether you liked the movie, either, just that you followed their rules. And you signed up to follow their rules, so you should. If you have a problem with it, don't go to the screener. Either way, you won't get to review the movie in advance of when they want you to.

The e-mail itself is remarkably awful in regards to its pretension, dishonesty and poor syntax.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Without reference to the e-mail or the personalities, please allow me make the case on behalf of common sense:

Embargo? It's a fucking movie review.

Thanks.

5. Dick Whitman

Don't sign it then.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I was commenting broadly on behalf of common sense, not on the specific behavior of either party.

It is as ridiculous to stipulate an embargo on a movie review as it is to agree to one.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I believe the Geneva Conventions have specific language regarding spoilers. This is an atrocity.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

And what this does, as much as anything, is make me want to see "We Bought a Zoo."

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

I don't know a thing about movie reviews, except that I normally disagree. But considering how much money companies have tied up in making movies, it makes perfect sense to me to allow critics to screen them early, with an agreement that the reviews won't be published until the week that the movie is released. It works for the reviewer as well, because a review is usually the most useful on opening weekend.

I can see how blowing the embargo could force other outlets to file their own reviews, possibly depriving the movie of buzz on opening weekend. So I'd be pissed, too.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The article claims the movie was shown to the critics in order to make the deadline for the New York Film Critics Circle awards vote. Obviously, if Denby agreed to the embargo, he should keep his word. The producers' attitude of "For awards? You've seen it. For reviews? Movie, what movie?" stinks, though.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So (playing, as always, devil's advocate) you, Mr. Movie Producer, expect me, Critic, to function as part of your promotional apparatus.

12. Dick Whitman

Don't sign it then.

Draft saved Draft deleted