1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times sports reporting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mr.scottnewman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. My suspicion is that our news brethren don't see our lack of office face time the same way :)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. But then they have to use a laptop to file from some late meeting one time and look at it like an alien spaceship.

3. ``Out'' people?
    Someone IDing himself as ``21'' asked me about my standards? I do have high standards, although I've also produced. I would never ask anyone to do anything I haven't done, or wouldn't do. Don't understand why he can't ID himself, or at least tell me what he's done, broken, et al--may be he has higher standards than me--and perhaps for good reason. That's all. Thanks.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is it possible for 21 tell you his or her standards without the 20 questions?

5. "Those with inside information, or info people can't get anywhere else will be richly rewarded -- and the rest--will be left in the dust."

Sounds like a dreary, colorless, monomanic era, in which sports will be just another business, fans will read only for information and there'll be no room for laughs, drama or heavy breathing.

A world in which Jim Murray wouldn't have a job.

Can't wait!

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mr Newman--I appreciate the invitation to share histories and resumes, etc. Since this is generally an anonymous message board, most of us are reasonably content to read each others' posts, and decide whether they hold water or are just puffs of hot air. If you need more accountability than that, you're probably in the wrong place.

After posting here for several years, I find that people from all areas of the business--and many from outside the business--are able to discuss their experiences and opinions with great intelligence and sincerity, regardless of their concealed identities.

I asked about the intent of your first two posts, because you began by congratulating the Times, and moved on to condemn the rest of the industry. We talk about these things here every day. If you read through the threads on this board, you'll find the members here take the industry very seriously....especially as hundreds of colleagues are losing their jobs and watching their newspapers fold.

As for me, I've worked in and around sportswriting since the mid 80s, longer than some here, less than others. And just to correct your earlier presumption, I am a she, not a he.

Welcome to the board.

7. 21--Thanks for your insightful post--and I would hope that someone who holds people to higher standards--would at least refrain from making a somewhat sexist reference -- which I apologize for making. May be I am asking too much, but we're not talking about life, death, or taxes here--so everything should be open and up front. May be this is just me, but whenever I post something on a message board, I always identify myself, whether the sentiment is positive or negative. And yes I am new to this board. Thanks for your post. Scott.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

My name is Chris Jones.

"Maybe" is one word, and this -- ? -- is a question mark, usually used to denote a question, not a statement.

Sorry if that seems snide. I just have high standards.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Newsroom have become quiet compared with 25-30 years ago, but that's not an indication of the amount of work being done but of a work-culture change in which shouting, screaming and swearing are no longer as welcome. Now, I believe that change has had a negative impact on journalism in some ways, but I think you're jumping to an inaccurate conclusion that there's less work being done.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Alas . . .

We ARE talking about life and death, here, for many of us.

11. Chris, thanks for coming OUT. You are correct--I should be more careful. And you are right; it's good to have high spelling and punctuation standards. And yes, I am a little concerned that some consider this -- life or death.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Scott, thanks for joining us. Now, how much do you think Kim Kardashian weighs?

Draft saved Draft deleted