1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times is at it again...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mateo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The 2006 Yankees come to mind.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Under the rules at the time, he should have gotten five minutes and a game.

Of course, we always knew there was a different set of rules where the Grate One was concerned.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Actually, all that did was force Game 7 back in Toronto, where Gretzky had the hat trick to send the Kings to the finals.

Although if you believe the Kings forcing Game 7 brought back Cubs-esque demons for the Maple Leafs (since they haven't even been to the finals since '68), then you might be correct that the Game 6 win clinched the series.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Different rules for Gretzky and pals (Mark Messier comes to mind)...

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Exactly. The kind of thing that would get Messier lionized as "a warrior" would have gotten pretty much anybody else vilified and/or suspended.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ream away, Mateo. He deserves Starman justice.

$#^%&#%&$% McSorley, for the first of his blinding moments of idiocy.

@#$T%@%^#& candyass Demers

F^%@%^&#^%&*$&* Smirking Melrose, for running what was a Cup-contending team into the ground because he had a hard-on for goons.

But no. I'm not bitter or anything. . . just because that freakish arriviste team That Shall Not Be Named from Orange County is probably going to win a Cup before mine.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

We make a big deal out of checking all names, adding middle inititals when needed, but this is the kind of embarrassing goof that's adjusted, if you're lucky, only by a fan or an expert. Not mentioning Marty makes it obvious this guy isn't a diehard. What a whiff.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

Gretzky scoring from behind net off Dave Ellett's skate was Game 7, his third goal of the game, to clinch the series.

What Gretzky did in Game 6 was high-stick Gilmour, not get penalized, and then score winning goal in OT to force Game 7

9. puckhead19

puckhead19 New Member

Mark Pargas is a friend of mine. I knew that something was wrong here, as he's the least likely person I know to make a mistake like this. I asked him about it, and he sent me this reply to a BLOGGER who'd ripped him:

And here is the correction the NYT ran:

Correction: December 8, 2006, Friday
    > Because of an editing error, the Rituals column
    > last Friday about hockey fans in Southern California
    > misstated the round of the National Hockey League
    > playoffs that the Los Angeles Kings reached in 1993.
    > The Kings reached the finals, not just the
    > semifinals. The column also misstated in which game
    > an illegal stick penalty occurred. It was in a
    > finals game against the Montreal Canadiens, not a
    > semifinals game against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
    >
    >
    > Copyright
    > 2006
    > The New York Times Company

Anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight. I've known Mark 15 years. He doesn't check in here, but I thought his point ought to be heard.

And, no I'm not Mark. I'm a long-time poster here, putting this in under an assumed identity.

10. deportes

deportes Member

i know mark, too. great guy. i always laugh when folk on here blame writers for every error, because there are times copy editors insert mistakes into stories. it happens. it shouldn't, but it does.

mark is a huge hockey fan. too bad his former shop, the los angeles times, is not.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good thing the bit about Doug Gilmour was excised. Writing that he played dirty in that or any other series would have been libelous. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted