1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times is at it again...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mateo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Mateo

Mateo Member

Today, Mark Pargas wrote a little articleabout being a hockey fan in Southern California.

Please note the following excerpt:

Superfan No. 99, who supposedly was a Kings fan, had no idea that the Kings actually beat Toronto to face Montreal in the Stanley Cup Finals. The website quickly caught the mistake, and fixed it. But I believe it went to print this way.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've made mistakes in my career, but that's bad. He ain't no Kings fan. Any Kings fan who was a true Kings fan in '93 hates the Habs for life now because of that piss-ass way of winning Game 2. I would've respected the Habs 100 percent for beating the Kings legit. I always held Montreal to the highest esteem, so had the Kings beaten them in the finals it would've been really special because of Montreal's history in the sport.

But them asking the ref to check McSorley's stick to get a power play? Eat my dingleberries, Habs. If the Kings win Game 2 and go back to L.A. up 2-0 they win the Cup.

Edit: Before Maple Leafs fans start chiming in ... Gilmour probably cut himself!

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Must have been a real Kings fan to have forgotten it was MARTY MCSORELY who played with and was caught with the illegal stick. If you're a fan, you don't forget shit like that.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if you're a Leafs' fan, you don't forget Wayne Gretzky circling the net with the puck in Game 6 (I think) looking down to find a skate to shoot the puck off of -- which he did, as it promptly went into the net to virtually clinch the series

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

And, if you're a leafs fan, can you ever forget the Great One high sticking Dougie Gilmour in the face - and getting away with it?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh, give Gilmour the Oscar.

7. Mateo

Mateo Member

I felt kind of bad reaming the dude in my Kings blog, but seriously... calling yourself a fan, then getting the facts of THE most important series in the career of the franchise...

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Hockey still sucks, though.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I think the 16 hockey fans in North America are well represented here.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Look, I'm a Gretzky fan, but even I remember Gilmour BLEEDING. Shoulda been a four-minute penalty, let alone two-minute minor!

PS - I hate the Buds, so I couldn't have cared less at the time.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

One of their players? Try Marty McSorley, only one of the most beloved players in franchise history.

Hockey sucks, design sucks, do you have any other dead horses you'd like to beat?

12. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

And there's the buried lead of this thread. *ducks*

Draft saved Draft deleted