1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Times: Bill Clinton supported a dictator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 31, 2008.

1. If it needs to be explained in this much detail, then it's not going to stick. I still have no idea what Whitewater was about -- as far as the initial investigation.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Maybe not, but both like to ask for women to blow their chances of getting good publicity.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Why does the New York Times hate Democrats like that?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This gentleman from Kazakhstan would like to be traded, please.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Supporting dictators is how we roll. People in this country, generally, don't give a fuck what sort of goose-stepping their tax dollars supports. If they did, Reagan wouldn't be a Protestant saint and suburban church ladies wouldn't have spent the late 1980s getting moist every time they saw Ollie North on TV.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My favorite part:

That same month, Mr. Dzhakishev, the Kazatomprom chief, said he traveled to Chappaqua, N.Y., to meet with Mr. Clinton at his home. Mr. Dzhakishev said Mr. Giustra arranged the three-hour meeting. Mr. Dzhakishev said he wanted to discuss Kazakhstan’s intention — not publicly known at the time — to buy a 10 percent stake in Westinghouse, a United States supplier of nuclear technology.

Mr. Clinton “said this was very important for America,” said Mr. Dzhakishev, who added that Mr. Giustra was present at Mr. Clinton’s home.

Both Mr. Clinton and Mr. Giustra at first denied that any such meeting occurred. Mr. Giustra also denied ever arranging for Kazakh officials to meet with Mr. Clinton. Wednesday, after The Times told them that others said a meeting, in Mr. Clinton’s home, had in fact taken place, both men acknowledged it.

“You are correct that I asked the president to meet with the head of Kazatomprom,” Mr. Giustra said. “Mr. Dzhakishev asked me in February 2007 to set up a meeting with former President Clinton to discuss the future of the nuclear energy industry.” Mr. Giustra said the meeting “escaped my memory until you raised it.”

Wednesday, Mr. Clinton’s spokesman, Ben Yarrow, issued what he called a “correction,” saying: “Today, Mr. Giustra told our office that in February 2007, he brought Mr. Dzhakishev from Kazatomprom to meet with President Clinton to discuss the future of nuclear energy.”

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You say dictator, I say streamlined, efficient government.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Escaped my memory".

Escaped our credulity.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

At least Bill's spokesman didn't say "future of nukular energy."

Or maybe he did and the FOBs on the copy desk cleaned it up.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Post of the year! (At least on the politics front. :) )

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That is, ultimately the reason I will not vote for Hillary.

I love Bill in many ways, but the selloff of the White House was despicable from 1993-2001, and I still haven't gotten past the Rich pardon at the top of that seeping, rancid moral landfill.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For those who are saying supporting dictators is what we do, keep in mind: He did this five years after he left office. It's pretty obvious there was a quid pro quo involved for money.

This should concern you because if Hillary wins, do you want Bill spending the entire four (or eight years) brokering back-room deals that further no one's cause but his own?

Draft saved Draft deleted